This skillet sweet potato, brussels sprouts, and spicy veggie sausage hash is a healthy, filling, hearty meal. Perfect for breakfast or lunch. Top with an egg and avocado, and an extra sprinkle of cayenne pepper for a kick!
This post is sponsored by Hilary's – Plant Based Awesomeness! thank you for supporting the brands that support Abra’s Kitchen. As always all thoughts, opinions, recipes, and musings are my own.
I'm going to need to request your full attention right here, for just a minute. We need to have a sit-down, vrrrrry serious convo, about this sweet potato and Brussels sprout hash with little nuggets of plant-based spicy veggie sausage in every single bite.
I am certain this is the official breakfast of fall. Certain that we all must jump in and make this beauty, serve it to all the people we love and then become the official hero of fall. I am certain that this is how it all must go down.
HOW TO MAKE A HEALTHY BREAKFAST HASH
- Start with some kind of starchy potato goodness – I love sweet potatoes in this recipe but you can certainly make it with white or purple potatoes as well. Butternut squash would also be a welcome addition!
- Add onion, garlic, and bell peppers – These are your aromatics and they should be in every hash recipe (in my opinion)
- Add something green – I LOVE shredded Brussels sprouts, they hold up quite well and are the perfect green counterpoint to sweet potatoes. Shredded cabbage or kale would also work quite well
- Spice it up! Hash should be bursting with flavor. I love using a generous amount of salt and pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. You can also use dried cumin, oregano, or thyme.
VEGGIE SAUSAGE BREAKFAST HASH!
The best addition to this hash recipe comes in the form of Hilary's spicy veggie meatless breakfast sausages. These little plant-based patties are a flavor explosion with only wholesome ingredients.
I have been a Hilary's veggie burger devotee for years (seriously just open my freezer at any moment and you will find at least 2 boxes of Hilary's staring back at you).
Hilary's is dedicated to allergen-free veggie products free from gluten, soy, corn, and nuts. All that aside Hilary's makes the best tasting veggie burgers and now veggie sausages on the market, hands down, no competition.
The base of these veggie sausages is lentil and millet, and they are perfectly spiced and have an amazing texture. Truly the best companion to any breakfast hash.
Check out the whole line of Hilary's free from allergens and plant-based awesomeness here.
HOW TO SERVE HEALTHY SWEET POTATO HASH:
My preferred way to eat sweet potato hash is with a perfect fried egg on top, if you are vegan or have an egg sensitivity then you can leave off the egg and/ or try some of these options
- Sliced avocado
- Scrambled tofu
- Wrap the hash in a tortilla and dip in hot sauce!
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
Perfect Scrambled Eggs with Goat Cheese and Ramps
Smoked Salmon and Herb Fritatta
Sweet Potato Pancakes with Spiced Cardamom Pears
Collagen Peaches and Cream Overnight Oats
Vegan Eggplant Bacon
You can also just dig right in with a spoon, and only come up for air when the hash is all gone 🙂 That's my preferred way of enjoying this veggie sausage sweet potato hash!
GIVEAWAY TIME! Head on over to my Instagram page to enter Hilary's giveaway! You could win a bag full of these veggie sausages plus some awesome Hilary's swag! I'll be hosting the giveaway through November 7th, the winner will be announced on November 9th.
I hope you love this Spicy Veggie Sweet Potato Hash Recipe! If you make it be sure to tag me @abrapappa on Instagram so I can see your masterpiece!
Veggie "Sausage" Sweet Potato Hash
- 4 patties Hilary's Spicy Veggie Sausage
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups bell pepper, diced I used red, orange, and green. Any color bell pepper is fine
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, skin on diced into small cubes diced into small cubes, skin on, about 2 cups of diced sweet potato
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- cayenne pepper or hot sauce
- Add 1/2 of the avocado oil to a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Hilary's Spicy Veggie Sausage patties and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining avocado oil to the pan and add onions, garlic, and bell peppers. Saute for 2 minutes stirring frequently. Add sweet potatoes to the pan and all dried spices. Stir well and cook for 2 more minutes. Add water, stir, and cover. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 6-8 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Once sweet potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a knife, add shredded Brussels sprouts to pan and cook until wilted 2-3 more minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Crumble veggie sausage into pan and stir to combine.
- Serve with a poached or fried egg, and sliced avocado. Finish with a dash of cayenne pepper or hot sauce (optional)
- Nutrition information does not include
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂