This healthy egg salad is luscious yet light, made with Greek yogurt, turmeric, and cilantro. You are going to love this protein-packed lunch which is simply delicious mounded on toast or dolloped right on top of salad greens.
All these little things that you do every day to boost and invigorate your health matter. Do not underestimate the power of these small changes to push you toward your health goals.
Greek yogurt is a fantastic swap out for mayonnaise or sour cream. It provides that lush creaminess that you love with an added twang from the yogurt, plus the benefit of beneficial probiotics for gut health! Spices like turmeric, with numerous health benefits, bring that saffron yellow color and an exotic warming spice to a dish.
This is what I have done with your run-of-the-mill egg salad— a few swaps and additions to make the salad brighter, healthier, and honestly… tastier! This protein-packed salad will help you plow through a busy workday. It is also a super easy spread on toast in the morning.
I remember my mother in the ‘80’s making this layered egg salad for her favorite lunch on the go. She would pack raw spinach leaves into the bottom of the container, then the egg salad in the center, and the top would be a scattering of frozen sweet peas. She said, by lunch, the peas had a lovely pop of sweetness.
I hope that you are on the run with places to go and people to see. It is so invigorating to see the world opening up again. Remember, swap-outs are a simple way to make dishes healthier.
Let's Get Cooking!
INGREDIENTS and SUBSTITUTIONS:
Detailed measurements and ingredients can be found within the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Organic Eggs- I am a stickler when it comes to the quality of the eggs that I eat. Organic matters here, or find a small local farm and purchase their eggs, or (in my dream life) raise your own chickens! Seriously though, if you have your own chickens – hero status! Non-egg eaters could use tofu that has been pressed between two paper towels to remove some of the moisture and then cut into small squares, or simply crumbled.
- Greek Yogurt- I love the addition of greek yogurt in egg salad, the sour tangy bite helps to cut the richness from the eggs. Adding in plain yogurt also gives a welcome boost of gut-friendly beneficial probiotics! Any type of plain yogurt will work, greek yogurt is just thicker. Mayonnaise would also work in this recipe.
- Dijon Mustard- Mustard is the secret ingredient to any good egg salad, it provides the perfect balance of acid to the otherwise rich creamy salad. In this recipe, I love how dijon mustard pairs with the warming turmeric, but you could also easily swap out with whole grain mustard.
- Ground Turmeric- Turmeric in egg salad? Yes, trust me this is a revelation. The idea came to me after making golden scrambled turmeric eggs 10 mornings in a row. I love the warming heat of turmeric combined with rich eggs. In a pinch, yellow curry powder would work as a substitution.
- Scallions- Minced shallot or red onion would be a good substitute, but you definitely want that punch of onion in this dish.
- Cilantro – Use your favorite green herb in this salad if cilantro is not your jam. Chives would be fantastic, parsley would work as well.