This lively Corn and Black Bean salad will be a mainstay on your summer table. A fantastic accompaniment to barbeque or seafood and pure magic when heaped into tacos or burritos. Only 7 simple wholesome ingredients, and less than 10 minutes to whip up!
Black bean and corn salad with cilantro and jalapeno bring crunch and flavor that is all at once spicy, fresh, and sweet.
This healthy black bean and corn salad will work with an array of dishes and versatility is the name of this healthy-food-prep-game. Salads such as this can be utilized in a myriad of ways:
- Salsa with tortilla chips
- A condiment in your Buddha bowls
- Try it with grilled shrimp
- Serve as a side dish with simple piece of grilled fish.
- Pile high in a chicken taco
- Serve as a side dish at your next bbq
This salad has protein from the black beans and veggie power—which you can amp up by the way. Zucchini would be an amazing addition or some of those heavenly summer tomatoes, perfect. As we embark on magic time, when the fruit and veggies of summer are at their zenith, salads can be your dinner-time best friend. Offering a vehicle for all those marvelous vegetables, and a quick and cooling alternative to slaving over the stove on these sweltering days. I hope that you find some perfect summer corn for your salad with a sweet pop, pop and that you indulge in all the pleasures that this season has to offer.
Let's Get Cooking!
INGREDIENTS and SUBSTITUTIONS:
Detailed measurements and ingredients can be found within the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Black Beans-You can use a bean medley or chickpeas, but black beans are best.
- Corn- Fresh or Frozen works but there is no substitute for fresh, seasonal, super-sweet corn.
- Red Bell Pepper- A crunchy sweet pepper is what you want here.
- Jalapeno Pepper- Other chili peppers like a serrano pepper will work as a substitute but always taste a piece of the pepper to see how hot it is. Then, decide how hot you want your salad.
- Sweet Red Onion-Any sweet onion or shallot will do.
- Cilantro– Any green herb that you like or a combination of herbs will work.
- Lime Juice- Lemon Juice will work in a pinch but lime is preferable in this salad.