The crispiest oven baked chicken wings you have ever tasted. Coated with a (healthy) tangy turmeric and black pepper rub and served with an herbed Greek yogurt dipping sauce. You will make this recipe over and over and over again.
I am currently snuggled in bed with a turmeric latte watching what is most likely the last big snowfall of the season. New York City is my favorite in the snow, it’s peaceful and beautiful and the perfect excuse to stay in bed and chat about all the important things in life, primarily – how did I go 40 years without knowing how to make the crispiest oven baked wings?
I was introduced to this method of cooking chicken wings by my culinary magician of a sister, Erika. She always has secret cooking tricks up her sleeve. Erika is a Virgo, particular, exacting, and takes the time to truly perfect a recipe. She graciously made me her oven crispy wings (her version was with a honey sriracha sauce) last month and I haven’t stopped thinking about them since.
I was literally blown away by the deliciousness of these wings! How did it work? What did you do Erika? Why do they taste crispy like fried wings, but without the greasiness?
I needed to know it all!
She let me in on the secret, and now I get to share it with you! #Winning
How to Make Perfectly Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings:
- Start with good quality 0rganic chicken wings – When it comes to chicken I only eat organic. I find that the taste is far superior and I just feel much better knowing my chicken wasn’t pumped full of growth hormones and antibiotics. Ya know, it’s the little things 😉
- Make sure the wings are super dry – I rinse them and then dry well with paper towels.
- Coat the chicken wings with your favorite spice mixture – I use turmeric, black pepper and salt.
- Toss spices with baking powder – This right here is the big secret. Baking powder creates a crispy exterior. I don’t know why you can ask Alton Brown, I’m sure he knows 😉
- NOTE** – Baking Powder – Make sure to buy aluminum free baking powder. Aluminum has been shown to induce neuroinflammation and is thought to be a contributing factor in the development of Alzheimer’s disease and cognitive decline (source 1, source2)
- Toss the wings with 1/2 the baking powder spice mixture in a bowl, and then toss with the other half. Doing this in stages ensures the baking powder won’t clump.
- In a single layer, place wings on a cookie sheet with a rack insert. This part is super important because you need air between the wings and the cookie sheet surface to create that crispy exterior.
- Flip wings every 20 minutes for 3 cycles (60 minutes cook time total).
The ingredients couldn’t be simpler:
- Organic chicken wings
- Turmeric – Only the healthiest spice on the planet
- Black Pepper – The perfect hit of back of the mouth spice. Also, black pepper is necessary whenever you use turmeric you can get the quick download on that here
- Baking Powder
The result – crispy delicious heaven.
Serve with a tangy cilantro lemon yogurt sauce for dipping.
This is a quick and easy weeknight dinner or weekend snack. Pair the crispy oven baked chicken wings with a big salad and you have a perfectly balanced, perfectly delicious meal.
I can’t wait for you to try this one!!
Crispy Baked Turmeric Black Pepper Wings with Cilantro Yogurt SaucePrint
Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, leaves and stems chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Preheat oven to 425°
Make sure wings are dry, in a small bowl combine baking powder, salt, pepper, and turmeric.
Toss wings with 1/2 turmeric mixture, make sure wings are well coated. Toss with remaining 1/2. Doing this in stages ensures that the baking powder doesn't clump.
Place wings, in a single layer, on a cookie sheet with a rack insert.
Bake 20 minutes, turn. Bake 20 more minutes, turn. Bake 20 more minutes.
- I found 60 minutes was the perfect cook time for my wings. My little sister just tried the recipe and found that her wings were done and crispy at 50 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, check your wings, if they are done (a thermometer will read 165°) and looking crispy enough remove them. Cook time will vary slightly depending on the size of your wings.
While you have your turmeric out…
My Top 5 Favorite Turmeric Recipes:
Anti-Inflammatory Tropical Turmeric Popsicles
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂