A quick and easy dinner, ready in 30 minutes. Creamy pumpkin cauliflower curry with chickpeas is the perfect vegetarian meal, packed with protein, fiber, and bursting with flavor!
I learned a very valuable lesson this week; pureed pumpkin is the PERFECT addition to vegetable curry. I can’t believe I’ve gone over 40 years without trying this! O to the M to the G.
This recipe was born out of necessity (all good ones are). I had a ton of pumpkin in my cupboard from an over-ambitious shopping trip a few months ago, the pureed pumpkin was on sale and I was buying. Hoping I would have had a ton of free time this fall to just cook away my life, I bought 10. 10 tetra packs of pumpkin puree. (This is my favorite brand). 10 packs too many because, remember, I have a very small kitchen in a one-bedroom NYC apartment, no pantry, and a boyfriend that likes to do things like buy 21 pounds of pasta and 17 jars of truffle sauce when Eataly has a sale.
I digress… I forced myself last week to start to use some of the overstocked pantry food. No grocery shopping for random cravings, I needed to cook what was in the fridge and cupboards. So I had to get to some of that pumpkin. A tough spot I was in, I wanted curry. Pumpkin and curry? I didn’t know if it would work but I wouldn’t fail from lack of trying.
It works. It works so well that pumpkin should be a curry staple. Pumpkin adds an extra layer of earthy sweetness and a super creamy texture.
Fresh ginger, cauliflower, pumpkin, coconut milk, and chickpeas are the main ingredients in this quick curry. Since I almost always have those ingredients on hand I can easily whip up this tasty 30 minute, one-pot, super healthy, vegetarian meal.
Creamy Pumpkin Cauliflower Curry Tips
- When you buy a fresh bulb of ginger you can pop it right in the freezer! It will keep for several months and you can just take it out and whack off the bit that you want as needed.
- You could easily add any additional veggies to this recipe like spinach, broccoli, or potatoes.
- If you want to add animal protein chicken or shrimp would be super yummy, I find this dish to be perfectly satisfying as is.
- I serve this with brown rice or any grain that suits your fancy. I almost served it over cauliflower rice but I thought that would be cauliflower overkill.
- The lime is NOT optional. It is an essential element of flavor. Trust me
Here are a few more pumpkin recipes you may like:
Creamy Pumpkin Cauliflower Curry with Chickpeas
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1.5 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch black pepper
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- Fresh cilantro and extra lime for serving
- In a medium pot over medium heat melt coconut oil. Add onions, garlic, and ginger and cook for 5 minutes until onions are tender.
- Add cauliflower, chickpeas, and vegetable stock. Simmer partially covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover add coconut milk, pumpkin, curry powder, salt, turmeric, and black pepper. Stir well to combine. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in lime juice.
- Serve over rice with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
Never Miss a Post
get new recipes right to your inbox!