Sauteed cabbage is one of my all-time favorite side dishes. Cabbage sauteed with crispy bacon and tangy sauerkraut is all together NEXT LEVEL! I promise you will love it!
It's high time we give cabbage a moment in the spotlight. It has long been viewed as a “mheh” vegetable, typically tossed aside or forgotten. Friends, that is not going to happen anymore.
Cabbage is one of my all-time favorite vegetables. There. I said it.
Now that THAT is out of the way, can we get to a mutual understanding of how delicious cabbage is and why you need to make this recipe ASAP?
I'm talking about crispy bacon, buttery cabbage, and tangy sauerkraut. I'm talking about 20 minutes, one pan, and a side dish that can easily slide into a starring role because it is just that good.
Let's Get Cooking!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Detailed measurements and ingredients can be found within the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Green Cabbage
- Olive Oil
TOOLS YOU WILL USE:
THE SECRET TO DELICIOUS SAUTEED CABBAGE
With these few tips, you will make perfectly creamy, luscious, and delicious cabbage every time.
- Cook until just tender. When cabbage is overcooked it becomes limp and smelly. Yes, smelly. When cabbage is cooked too long sulfur compounds are released.
- Add flavor – fat and acid are your friends. In this recipe, I use bacon (fat) and sauerkraut (acid) for a well-balanced dish. You can also use butter and a splash of vinegar.
WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE SAUERKRAUT – CAN I ELIMINATE IT?
The deal with the sauerkraut is that it is #1 – DELICIOUS and #2 – it is an excellent source of beneficial bacteria for gut health! (Interested in gut health? Check out last month's meal plan feature – 7 Day Gut Health Meal Plan).
You can make your own sauerkraut – as I do in a mason jar (EASY!) or use store-bought.
TIP: You do not want to overheat the sauerkraut, this will kill off all of that good for you bacteria.
Can you eliminate it? Of course, you may want to add a splash of apple cider vinegar for the delicious acidic kick.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SAUTEED CABBAGE
Sauteed cabbage is a delicious side dish that goes well with many mains. Here are a few of my favorites:
Perfectly Roasted Chicken Breast – This makes for an easy well-balanced dinner!
Pork – Pork is a natural pairing for cabbage and sauerkraut, Pork Tenderloin, Pork Chops, or Dry Spiced Pork Ribs would all be delicious.
More Veggies! – You know I love a veggie extravaganza dinner. Roast a few potatoes, make a big salad and dinner is served.
DIETARY MODIFICATIONS FOR THIS RECIPE:
This recipe is naturally gluten-free, whole30, paleo, and keto-friendly.
- Vegetarian – Eliminate the bacon
- Vegan – Eliminate the bacon
MORE SIDE DISH RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
I can’t wait for you to try this Sauteed Cabbage with Bacon and Sauerkraut! When you make it, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @abrapappa or use the hashtag #abraskitchen so I can feature your photo!
If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to rate and leave a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Sauteed Cabbage, Sauerkraut, and Bacon
- Add bacon to a large (high-sided) skillet (or large stockpot) and cook over medium-high heat until crispy. About 6 minutes. Once bacon is crispy remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Remove all but 1 tbsp of bacon fat from the pan. Add onion and garlic to the pan, cook, and stir until the onion has softened, about 5 more minutes. Add cabbage and stir. Add water, cover with a lid and allow the cabbage to cook for about 8 minutes, or until crispy tender (you may need a little more than 1/4 cup of water to soften the cabbage).
- Add salt and pepper, stir to combine. Add sauerkraut, stir, Turn off heat, top with reserved bacon and serve.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂