A delicious simple salad with your favorite fall flavors dressed with a super yummy garlic pumpkin vinaigrette! This salad is a wonderful side dish or complete meal and perfect for a holiday gathering.
Peppery arugula, creamy butternut squash, crispy fall apples, and a TO-DIE-FOR pumpkin garlic vinaigrette!
Listen up, I have your fall salad sorted. No need to play with any other ingredients, we are all set here!
Fall Harvest Salad with a pumpkin vinaigrette would be a welcome addition to any holiday table or a quick and healthy lunch in the middle of the week.
#AKPumpkinWeek2020 – I cannot wait for you to try all of the pumpkin deliciousness. Here is the pumpkin recap so far:
Day 2: Instant Pot Pumpkin Risotto
Day 3: Pumpkin Spice Scones
And today… Fall Harvest Salad with a PUMPKIN garlic vinaigrette!
Tomorrow is our final pumpkin recipe this year (cue the tears!).
Let's give 'em pumpkin to talk about and Let's Get Cooking!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
A fall harvest salad is the ultimate celebration of fall flavors. As with most salads, you can feel free to explore other ingredients. The ingredient list that follows is my
- Pumpkin puree – The base for garlic pumpkin vinaigrette. Adding pumpkin to salad dressing is my favorite culinary discovery of 2020 🙂
- Arugula – I love the spicy peppery bite of arugula with sweeter fall flavors like apple
- Roasted butternut squash – A staple in my fall kitchen! Any winter squash or sweet potato will also work.
- Crispy apple – my preferred apple is Honeycrisp, but any fresh crisp fall apple will do! Pear would also be delicious.
- Pumpkin seeds – Ideal formula for any great salad is a combination of crunchy, salty, sweet, and creamy. The pumpkin seeds fit the crunchy bill!
- Quick pickled onions – Salty, briny deliciousness. If you haven't made a quick pickled onion for a salad before, trust me it is super easy and well worth the two-minute, effort!
TOOLS YOU WILL USE:
FALL HARVEST SALAD – LET'S MAKE IT!
- Begin by roasting butternut squash – you can also use roasted sweet potato.
- Whisk up your pumpkin vinaigrette!
- Layer all the flavors, all the fall feels, get ready for salad perfection – peppery arugula, crisp fall apples, nutty pumpkin seeds, creamy butternut squash, salty pickled onions, and a garlicky savory pumpkin dressing!
THE FORMULA FOR DELICIOUS SALADS!
I use this simple formula to craft delicious salads all year long. Think of the endless variations of deliciousness ahead of you when you use this simple road map to tasty!
- Creamy – Think avocado, cheese, butternut squash, or sweet potato
- Sweet – A little hint of fruit, apple, pear, citrus, or dried fruit
- Nutty, crunchy – Almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, or pecans.
- Salty, briny – Olives, pickled vegetables, kimchi, sauerkraut, pickled onions
- Greens – Lettuce, peppery arugula, tender massaged kale, escarole, or mixed greens.
- GREAT homemade dressing – Non-negotiable in my book. Nothing will ever beat a delicious homemade salad dressing!
- Additional Protein – Always optional but if you are looking for a foolproof chicken that you can add to different salads all week long try this Perfect Every Time Roasted Chicken Breast recipe.
PUMPKIN VINAIGRETTE TIPS!
- Use pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- You can use fresh pumpkin or canned
- Use pungent dijon mustard – this provides a HUGE amount of flavor.
- Good quality olive oil – Organic, First-Cold Pressed, Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I like mine grassy and peppery.
- Use a large fresh clove of garlic and a garlic press to crush the garlic.
- Taste for seasoning, make sure there is enough salt and pepper
- Whisk or shake well to fully incorporate
- This will keep well in the refrigerator for 5-7 days
MORE SALAD RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
DIETARY MODIFICATIONS FOR THIS RECIPE:
This recipe is naturally Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Whole 30, and Paleo compliant
- Low Fodmap – Eliminate onions or quick pickle green scallions, eliminate garlic from the dressing
I can’t wait for you to try this Fall Harvest Salad with Pumpkin Garlic Vinaigrette! When you make it, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @abrapappa or use the hashtag #abraskitchen so I can feature your photo!
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂