Gorgeous roasted Brussels sprouts tossed with crunchy pecans in a brown butter sauce and drizzled with a spiced maple tahini glaze. If Brussels sprouts were served in heaven, they would taste like this ?
I didn't plan on posting any additional Thanksgiving recipes this year, not because I didn't want to but just due to annoying time issues.
Then in spin class a few days ago I had this idea for Brussels sprouts with toasted pecans dripping in a brown butter sauce and then drizzled with a cardamom maple spiced tahini. Tap back 2-3-4, said the instructor, brown butter pecans, I thought!
This is what I think about in spin class. In between my agony over an improperly set up bike, and trying to count down the minutes left in the class (a 45-minute class typically has 12 songs, we are on song 5 so…), I think about recipes.
It's really where I do my best work. Put me on a spin bike and I can craft a gorgeous prolific series of healthy recipes. Full disclosure, I'm not winning any races in class, but oh man my creativity does ride!
I woke up yesterday and got to work testing this idea. Several trial runs until the combination was just right, but really it's a pretty foolproof recipe. The flavors simply work together, they work really really well.
If you've never browned butter before it's quite easy. Just allow butter to simmer, bubble and froth. Don't touch it! (That is the hardest part) and it will begin to brown and smell glorious and nutty. Then drop your pecans in (they have already been toasted in the oven for a few minutes) sprinkle with sea salt and WOW!
Then you will toss those Brussels with that crazy delicious pecan brown butter and drizzle with a slightly sweet maple tahini dressing, that has been kissed by a little bit of cardamom. If you don't have cardamom, you can leave it out, or a pinch of cinnamon would be yummy!
This recipe makes enough for about 4 generous servings, you can certainly double if you are having a bigger crowd.
If you happen to have any leftover Brussels from this dish you can toss them together with a bit of crispy bacon and make this pizza for a real leftover treat!
Quick Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup:
Thanks for reading Abra's Kitchen! If you make this recipe tag #abraskitchen on Instagram 🙂
[clickToTweet tweet=”If Brussels sprouts were served in heaven this is what they would taste like ? #BrusselsSprouts #” quote=”If Brussels sprouts were served in heaven this is what they would taste like ?”]
Pecan Brown Butter Roasted Brussels Sprouts with a Spiced Tahini Glaze
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Spread out pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast in oven for 3 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Prepare Brussels sprouts by removing the wooded end and slicing in half. Toss with olive oil, 1/4 tsp. sea salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper.
- Spread Brussels sprouts out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, tossing once during cooking.
- While Brussels sprouts are cooking prepare the tahini glaze by whisking together tahini, water, cardamom, and maple syrup. Set aside.
- When the sprouts have 5 minutes left to cook prepare the brown butter by melting 2 tbsp unsalted butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk together as it begins to melt. Once butter begins to froth and bubble stop whisking and allow the butter to take on color. It is ready when it smells nutty and is a gorgeous caramel brown. Turn off the heat, toss in the pecans and a pinch of flaked sea salt.
- Pour brown butter pecans over the Brussels sprouts and drizzle with the tahini glaze. Serve immediately.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂