Baked sweet potatoes are an easy, healthy, and super yummy side dish loaded with good for you nutrients. With this foolproof recipe, you will see how simple it is to make baked sweet potatoes in the oven.
This post is part of a new series of basic, simple healthy recipes and how to's – healthy cooking 101!
Welcome to How To Sweet Potato!
Creamy sweet and totally satisfying, sweet potatoes are one of my all-time favorite foods! They are a staple on my grocery list and always there for me when I need a quick snack, side dish, or complete meal.
There are a handful of basic recipes that I think everyone should know, this is one of them. Learn how to simply and easily prepare baked sweet potatoes and use them in recipes all week long!
NUTRITION NERD CORNER 🤓
EAT SWEET POTATOES FOR SUPER SWEET NUTRITION
You can't go wrong with adding sweet potatoes to your diet, they are loaded with good for you nutrients
- A good source of fiber, most of the fiber is found in the skin. Make sure to wash your sweet potato well and eat the skin (this recipe does not contain sweet potato skin)
- Rich in vitamins A, C, and manganese. Vitamin A is an essential nutrient for good immune health, bring on the sweet potatoes!
- A good source of antioxidants.
- A recent study found that fiber from sweet potatoes improved the microbiome profile promoting better gut health. This was a mouse study where they found that supplementing with sweet potato fiber increased the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut and improved digestion and absorption in the GI tract, so cool!
HOW TO BAKE SWEET POTATOES IN THE OVEN:
1. Scrub the spud!
Using a vegetable scrub, under warm running water scrub the sweet potatoes to remove any dirt or debris.
2. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper
Sweet potatoes get super juicy while baking and can ooze sugary deliciousness. For easy cleanup line your baking sheet with parchment paper. I choose not to use aluminum foil in high heat baking, aluminum can leach into your foods at high temperatures and aluminum has been linked to an increased risk of neurodegenerative diseases, like Alzheimer's disease.
3. Poke holes!
Use a fork to poke several holes in your sweet potato. This provides steam vents to ensure the potato doesn't burst while cooking and also ensures even cooking. There are several methods that recommend not poking holes to produce a more caramelized sweet potato, I've tested this and do not prefer it, but feel free to try and see what you think!
4. Bake until tender
TIPS FOR BAKED SWEET POTATOES:
- Eat the skin – this is where the fiber and nutrients reside.
- Oil and salt the skin – to make the skin a treat in and of itself rub the sweet potato with a bit of olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil and then cover in coarse sea salt before baking. This step is absolutely optional, but delicious
- Size and shape – sweet potatoes come in a variety of shapes and sizes, when you are baking in the oven try to choose sweet potatoes that are similar in size for even cooking.
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SWEET POTATO AND A YAM?
In the U.S. the names are used somewhat interchangeably, “sweet potatoes” are referred to as yams and vice versa. However, technically a yam is a completely different root vegetable similar to starchy yuca with tough brown skin, and starchy (not sweet) flesh. The authentic yam is often used in Caribbean or West African dishes.
HOW TO SERVE SWEET POTATOES
- A pat of butter, salt, and pepper
- A pat of coconut oil, salt, and pepper
- A drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon
RECIPES WITH BAKED SWEET POTATO:
Once you bake sweet potatoes you can use them in a million ways all week long, making sweet potatoes the PERFECT meal prep item!
STUFFED SWEET POTATO RECIPES – I LOVE stuffing sweet potatoes with all kinds of savory goodness:
- Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potato Recipe
- Kale and Tofu Stuffed Sweet Potato
- Sloppy Joe Stuffed Sweet Potato
- BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato – Combine roasted chicken with bbq sauce, stuff in sweet potato, top with jalapeno and fresh cilantro
SWEET POTATOES IN BAKED GOODS – scoop the flesh from your baked sweet potatoes and add to these delicious goodies
I can’t wait for you to try this Simple Baked Sweet Potato Recipe! When you make it, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @abrapappa or use the hashtag #abraskitchen so I can feature your photo!
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes are an easy, healthy, and super yummy side dish loaded with good for you nutrients.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- course salt
- butter, salt, and pepper for serving
Preheat oven to 400° and prepare a baking tray with parchment paper
Scrub sweet potatoes to remove all dirt and debris, dry off
Poke holes in sweet potatoes using a sharp fork
Rub oil on sweet potatoes and coat with coarse salt (optional)
Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a knife can easily be inserted into potato
Remove from the oven, slice open and top with butter, salt, and pepper.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂