The best simple and healthy guacamole recipe, perfect for snacking, as a toast topping, or just to eat by the spoonful! Plus tips for making flawless guacamole every single time!
Are we ready to have a serious guacamole conversation?
My most controversial post ever on Instagram had to do with guacamole. I am a purest and I believe two things very very strongly.
- Garlic does not belong in guacamole
- Tomatoes do not belong in guacamole
Truth is I don't think there is one perfect way to make guacamole, but I do know that 90% of the guacamoles I've tasted have been sub-par. There are a few very simple tricks to make sure your guacamole is always the best! (and I won't be mad if you decide to add tomato or garlic).
This is technically not my recipe. It's Jordans. He is the guacamole master. The reigning king. The one and only guac maker in our house.
I gave up.
His is better. He agreed to go step by step for me so I could make this post. He also agreed to an IGTV, This is a very big deal.
You can watch his full tutorial below, but read on for all the guacamole questions I've ever been asked.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE SIMPLE HEALTHY GUACAMOLE:
- Red Onion
- Coarse salt
HOW TO PICK THE PERFECT AVOCADO FOR GUACAMOLE:
You will not be able to judge the ripeness of an avocado by color alone. Give a gentle press at the top or neck of the avocado and when it gives to pressure it is ripe.
For guacamole, you want avocados that yield to pressure all over. They need to be very soft, softer than you may think.
If they yield slightly to pressure, use the avocado for slicing or salads, when they are soft all over they are guacamole ready!
HOW TO MAKE GUACAMOLE HEALTHIER
Guacamole is inherently healthy. It is simply a combination of healthy plant foods all smashed together creating a genius delicious treat.
Homemade guacamole is healthier than store-bought, very simply it doesn't require any preservatives or additives.
To amp up the nutritional power of guacamole switch up how you serve it.
HEALTH QUESTIONS ABOUT GUACAMOLE:
IS IT OK TO EAT GUACAMOLE EVERY DAY?
Yes. Seriously yes. I do think you want to consider portions with avocados though. I love them but find I do best eating 1/4-1/2 an avocado at a sitting. I could easily eat 5 avocados when I'm eating guacamole, so I just tune in to my intuition a little bit deeper when guacamole is around.
However, guacamole is a special treat in my house. I don't eat it out typically and only eat Jordan's guacamole, his is the best and all others pale in comparison. If he made it every day, you bet I would eat it every day!
IS GUACAMOLE BAD FOR ME?
Absolutely not. It is simple wholesome, real food ingredients.
WHAT CAN YOU SERVE WITH GUACAMOLE?
Healthy Guacamole Dippers:
- Sugar Snap Peas (my personal favorite)
- Siete brand tortilla chips (grain-free, super high quality and DELICIOUS!)
HEALTHY WAYS TO USE GUACAMOLE:
- Spread on sourdough toast for the ultimate avocado toast. Top with sliced tomato, hard boiled egg, and a sprinkle of everything but the bagel seasoning.
- Add a dollop on top of soup – it would be great on my Super Green Detoxifying Soup, Veggie Lentil Soup, Creamy Potato Soup, or Late Harvest Vegetable Soup
- Add a dollop on top of baked potato or baked sweet potato
- Top a grilled chicken breast with guacamole and serve with an heirloom tomato salad.
HOW TO MAKE GUACAMOLE WITH LOTS OF FLAVOR!
This too is actually quite simple, you can do it in 2 steps:
- Use more salt than you think
- Use more lime juice than you think
Good guacamole has the perfect balance of creamy fatty avocado, a little heat from jalapeno, herbaceous cilantro, a crunch and a bit more heat from finely diced red onion, and plenty of salinity and acid (lime juice) to balance it all out.
TIPS ON HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER GUACAMOLE:
Squeeze extra lime juice on top and cover with plastic wrap. Make sure the plastic wrap is actually touching the guacamole.
If you do this one simple thing your guacamole won't brown.
Bonus tip: I think guacamole served cold is a problem. It definitely has less flavor. Allow your guacamole to come to room temperature or at least a bit warmer than cold before you serve it.
MORE HEALTHY SNACKS YOU WILL LOVE!
I hope you love this healthy guacamole recipe! If you make it be sure to tag me @abrapappa on Instagram so I can see your masterpiece!
- 5 avocados ripe, see notes.
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced taste for heat, you may want more or less
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced about 4 tbsp of fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp coarse salt kosher salt is fine
Prepare your ingredients by finely chopping the red onion, jalapeno, and cilantro, set aside.
Scoop the flesh of the avocados into a large bowl. Begin to mash the avocado using a potato masher or a fork. Try not to turn the avocados into complete mush, you want some texture, chunks are good. Add red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, juice of 1 lime, and 1/2 the salt. Continue to mash, stir.
Taste for seasoning. Add the other lime, and a bit more salt if needed (we always use the entire tsp of salt with 5 avocados).
Top with additional cilantro, serve immediately.
- Your avocados should be ripe, yileding to gentle pressure all over.
- Add as much or as little heat (from the jalapeno) as you like
- Store leftovers in the fridge, top guacamole with extra lime juice and plastic wrap touching the guacamole to prevent browing.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂