Butternut, honey-nut, acorn, kabocha, delicata, spaghetti squash and of course pumpkin all have nutrient dense seeds that are begging to be roasted. Spiced Winter Squash Seeds are the perfect healthy snack.
I’ve been roasting pumpkin seeds since I was little. It was my favorite part of carving the pumpkin honestly. Those salty crunchy seeds warm out of the oven. Yum! But did you know you could also roast the seeds from other winter squashes?
I did not know this until I tried it on a whim a few years ago. I couldn’t bear to throw out the seeds from a spaghetti squash so into the oven they went. Wow! So yummy.
The seeds from winter squash are a great source of fiber, healthy fat, and protein. They contain a wide range of nutrients and minerals including zinc, vitamin C, folate, and calcium.
Tips for Making Perfectly Roasted Winter Squash Seeds:
- Scoop the seeds out of your squash of choice and place them in a large bowl of water. Swirl around to remove the stringy squash bits.
- Dry seeds on a large clean kitchen towel (the seeds will stick a little bit)
- Spread out in a single layer on a cookie sheet
- Spice them up! First drizzle a bit of oil on the seeds and then add spices. If I am making a sweet recipe I use coconut oil, otherwise, avocado oil or olive oil works well. Use the recipe below for a warm spicy mix or try cinnamon, sugar and salt for sweet blend or rosemary, salt, and garlic powder for a fall inspired blend. The options are endless.
- Roast at 300° for 20-30 minutes until they are just starting to brown. Smaller seeds from various squash will take less time so be sure to keep an eye on them. I usually check them at the 10-minute mark
How to Eat Spiced Winter Squash Seeds
- Just by the handful as a snack
- Place little bowls of these deliciously spiced winter squash seeds on your appetizer table for the holidays!
- Sprinkle on top of tacos for the perfect crunch
- Sprinkle on top of soup
- Or sprinkle on top of a salad
- Add to a big beautiful cheese and veggie tray
Happy squash seed roasting!!
Thanks for reading Abra’s Kitchen! If you make this recipe tag #abraskitchen on Instagram I can’t wait to see your creation!
Spiced Winter Squash Seeds
Perfectly roasted and spiced winter squash seeds from butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash. Salty, spicy, and addictive.
- 1/2 cup seeds (from acorn squash, butternut squash, or spaghetti squash)
- 2 tsp avocado oil coconut oil, or olive oil would work as well
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Preheat oven to 300°
Scoop seeds from inside of squash
Rinse seeds to remove squash bits, and dry well using a kitchen towel
Spread out in a single layer on a cookie sheet
Coat with oil and spices and roast for 20-30 minutes or until just starting to turn brown
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days
- If you can't remove all of the squash bits from the seeds the recipe will still work. The squash adds more flavor
- Nutrition facts are for hulled pumpkin seeds, unhulled (what you would be using in this recipe) contain a lot more fiber
Never Miss a Post
get new recipes right to your inbox!