Ready to learn how to incorporate, the ancient and powerful spice, Turmeric into your modern-day diet? Read on for some creative, healthy, and of course, delicious recipes that use this sunny spice full of amazing healing abilities. From sweet treats to savory dishes to healing elixirs.
Inflammation who? Turmeric, the bright yellow spice most well-known for its use in curries, is a spice that has long (think thousands of years!) been recognized for its medicinal properties, especially in India for Ayurvedic cooking.
Turmeric is one superhero of a spice and for good reason! Due to high levels of curcumin, its main active ingredient, turmeric is one of the most powerful and potent anti-inflammatories. Some studies have even shown that turmeric can be more effective as an anti-inflammatory than pharmaceuticals (like Advil). What?!
Here is a quick crash course on the INCREDIBLE health benefits of turmeric that will have you eager to start using this superstar spice in your kitchen ASAP!
- Anti-inflammatory – curcumin has been shown to be as effective as many anti-inflammatory drugs, without the nasty side effects of pharmaceuticals. Reducing inflammation in the body is key to aid in disease prevention and improve overall health.
- Anti-oxidant – curcumin's antioxidant properties destroy free radicals in the body that damage blood cells.
- Anti-microbial – curcumin contains anti-microbial properties that help to fight off unwelcome pathogens.
- Wound healing – turmeric is a natural antibacterial agent and can be beneficial if used topically to help speed wound healing.
- Cancer Prevention – multiple research studies have found that curcumin can suppress cancerous tumor growth and also suppress the effects of cancer-causing environmental exposures.
So, I think it is safe to say that turmeric deserves a space on your spice rack.
WHAT DOES TURMERIC TASTE LIKE?
Turmeric is most well known for its use in curry. It is bitter, earthy, and peppery with a note of citrus. I find turmeric works best with the following flavor combinations:
- Citrus – think lemon, grapefruit, or orange
- Warming spices – winter spices like cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and nutmeg
- Curry spices – mustard seed, cumin.
Ready to spice things up? Let’s go!
BREAKFAST AND BEVERAGES
Golden milk lattes are not just a trendy bevvie they are a delicious treat! Adding turmeric to warm steamed milk with a touch of honey – yes please! Turmeric can also easily be added to muffins and smoothies!
LUNCH & DINNER
I love finding creative ways to add turmeric to my savory dishes, I know you are going to love these recipes!
SWEET TREATS + SAUCES/DRESSINGS
Bring on the sweet treats and the sauces and dressings 🙂
I hope you loved these Healthy and Delicious Turmeric Recipes. If you make any of them snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @abrapappa or use the hashtag #abraskitchen so I can feature your photo!
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂