No-bake Superfood Peanut Butter and Jelly Bites an easy, 5-ingredients healthy snack. Quick and delicious with superfood additions to make this an uber-healthy treat.
Let's pause for a minute to revel in the epic deliciousness that exists in these peanut butter bites.
- Peanut butter. Nuff' said.
- Homemade strawberry chia jam deliciousness
- A frozen treat that's so good you sneak into the kitchen in the middle of the night to have just one more – deliciousness
- A good for you- like super good for you – homemade healthy snack style deliciousness
My friend, what we have here is a whip together treat that will have your whole family bowing down at the alter that is YOU. You, the magical human that made these treats and then shared them.
I mean… come on! Let's get “cooking” (It's a no-bake recipe so very little actual cooking is required).
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THESE SUPERFOOD PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY BITES:
- Peanut butter – I use natural peanut butter that is smooth, but you can use crunchy if you want. The texture is totally up to you,
- Coconut oil – This is necessary to help the peanut butter harden in the freezer, also added healthy fat – winning!
- Maca – Maca baby, one of my favorite superfoods for energy and vitality! Maca also has a lovely earthy malt flavor that pairs perfectly with nut butter.
- Honey – I use peanut butter without any added sugar, if your peanut butter is a bit sweeter you can skip this ingredient or feel free to sub maple syrup.
- Strawberry Chia Jam – I make my own jam, it takes a minute to make and then patience while it cools in the fridge. You can easily sub for your favorite jam.
WHAT IS A SUPERFOOD?
Although this can be a bit of a buzz word that is used to describe everything from broccoli to sweet potatoes I think of superfoods as food with more. The “Abra official definition” of a superfood is a food that straddles the line between being just food and a potent medicinal compound. Don't get me wrong, broccoli has got it going on, but maca can also be used in therapeutic doses in a way that I wouldn't necessarily use broccoli.
WHAT IS MACA?
Maca is a Peruvian root vegetable that is dried and ground into a powder it is known for its ability to increase stamina, strength, and libido.
This is one of my favorite brands of maca but you can also find it at just about any natural grocery store or online.
Maca contains 2 compounds; macamides and macanes, which some studies show are directly responsible for its sex boosting power, its ability to increase energy, endurance, strength, libido and sexual function.
During the height of the Incan empire, legend has it that Incan warriors would consume maca before entering into battle, which they believed would make them fiercely strong. After conquering a city, the Incan soldiers were prohibited from using maca to protect the women from the soldiers’ maca-induced sexual impulses. Oh la la!
Maca belongs to a class of herbs known as adaptogens. Adaptogens help the body adapt to stress and ultimately encourage greater balance.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY BITES
You will need a mini muffin tin and paper liners.
Warm your peanut butter and coconut oil, either in a double boiler or in the microwave. You want it just warm enough to stir well, it should appear liquidy.
Whisk the honey and maca into the peanut butter mixture and set aside.
If you want to make your own strawberry chia jam you can follow this recipe.
Assemble your bites! Fill your mini liners 1/3 full with peanut butter and freeze for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer and add jam on top, place back in freezer. Remove from freezer after another 15 minutes and add final peanut butter layer, freeze for a final time for 10-15 more minutes.
That's it, folks!
Store in the freezer and grab one whenever your little heart desires.
More Superfood Recipes You Will Love!
Superfood Strawberry Chia Seed Jam
Superfood Blackberry Avocado Smoothie Bowl
Superfood Tahini Cardamom Hot Chocolate
Superfood Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie
SuperFood Pumpkin Cacao Muffins
I hope you love these superfood peanut butter and jelly bites! If you make it be sure to tag me @abrapappa on Instagram so I can see your masterpiece!
Superfood Peanut Butter and Jelly Bites
- mini muffin tin
- 1/4 cup
- 3/4 cup
- 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp
- 3/4 cup strawberry chia jam *see notes
- Melt coconut oil and peanut butter together (you can warm slightly in a double boiler or simply microwave for 30 seconds until runny and easy to combine).
- Whisk maca and honey into peanut butter mixture.
- Prepare a mini muffin tray with paper liners.
- Fill paper liners 1/3 way with peanut butter, freeze for 15 minutes.
- Add a small spoonful of strawberry chia jam on top of peanut butter, leaving room for a third layer, and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Fill to top with remaining peanut butter mixture, freeze for an additional 15 minutes.
- Store treats in the freezer.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂