Crispy zucchini fries made in the air fryer. A gluten-free, paleo version plus a more traditional bread crumb version. A crispy healthy snack, ready in 15 minutes!
This post was originally published in 2012 the recipe, post, and photos have been updated.
Yes, summer is over. Yes, it is officially fall. Yes, this is a zucchni recipe. I am still getting zucchini from my CSA which means creative zucchini recipes are in order. At this time of year the ubiquitous vegetable of the summer season, zucchini, feels overplayed. If you grow zucchini in your garden you are overflow-eth with bounty, if your neighbor grows zucchini, you most likely are the recipient of said overflow.
Luckily zucchini is one of the most versatile vegetables. You can literally do just about anything with it!
More Great Healthy Zucchini Recipes!
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI FRIES:
Start with zucchini (duh!), and cut into matchsticks. I tend to like mine a little thicker (as seen above) so they retain some texture. If you prefer your zucchini super tender then cut into thinner sticks.
Choose your topping:
You can use almond flour for a paleo, gluten-free, keto version of the recipe or a more traditional panko breadcrumbs.
Dredge the zucchini in whisked eggs, then into your almond flour or panko mixture. Follow Air Fryer or oven instructions below. Super easy!
VEGAN VERSION! Whisk 2 tbsp of vegan mayo (I like Primal Kitchen or Vegenaise) with 2 tbsp water and dredge zucchini in this rather than eggs.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI FRIES GLUTEN FREE, PALEO, AND KETO
Simply replace the traditional bread crumbs for almond flour!
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI FRIES IN THE AIR FRYER
I got my first Air Fryer a few months ago and have had so much fun playing with it. Truth be told, I don't think it is a necessary appliance. You can't fit very much into it, and I can achieve similar results in the oven. It is fun though and a few things have turned out fantastic, my turmeric chicken wings are great in the Air Fryer and Trader Joe's Cauliflower Gnocchi is the bomb!
To make zucchini fries in the air fryer you will cook at 400 for 10 minutes. I sprayed liberally with coconut oil before and during cooking and shook the basket once or twice during cooking.
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY ZUCCHINI FRIES IN THE OVEN:
If you don't have an Air Fryer, don't despair. You can easily make these zucchini fries in the oven.
Bake at 450° for 15 minutes tossing once during cooking.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH ZUCCHINI FRIES
DIETARY MODIFICATIONS FOR AIR FRYER ZUCCHINI FRIES:
This recipe is vegetarian, gluten-free, and paleo/vegan/ keto modifiable
- Keto/ Paleo– Replace the breadcrumbs with almond flour
- Vegan – Replace the eggs with vegan mayo (Primal Kitchen and Vegenaise are my preferred brands) (2 tbsp vegan mayo + 2 tbsp water whisked together)
- Low Fodmap – Low fodmap friendly, with almond flour
Zucchini Fries (Air Fryer and Oven Options) with Avocado Dip
- 1 avocado
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp water to thin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Cut zucchini into matchsticks about 1/4 inch thick, dry well on paper towel
- Scramble eggs in one bowl
- In a separate bowl combine the almond flour with salt and pepper. If you aren't gluten free and you want a crunchier zucchini fry use panko bread crumbs instead.
- AIR FRYER INSTRUCTIONS: Cook at 400 for 10 minutes tossing 1-2 times during cooking. You will need to spray the zucchini fries with avocado, coconut, or olive oil prior to cooking.
- OVEN INSTRUCTIONS: Place on cookie sheet that has been rubbed with olive oil and bake in 450 oven for 15 minutes, flip over and bake for additional 10-15 minutes until brown and crispy.
- You will achieve a crispier result with breadcrumbs
- Nutrition data is for 1/4 of the recipe assuming you will consume 1/4 of the dip as well.
DIETARY MODIFICATIONS FOR AIR FRYER ZUCCHINI FRIES:This recipe is vegetarian, gluten-free, and paleo/vegan/ keto modifiable
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂