A classic strawberry banana smoothie with the addition of a few functional food delights to make a nutritious and delicious smoothie! The perfect quick and healthy breakfast, creamy, sweet, and totally satisfying.
I've been on a smoothie kick lately, when the weather gets warmer there is nothing else that satisfies me in the morning like a thick and creamy smoothie.
This smoothie, however, comes with a special side of…
STRAWBERRY BANANA SMOOTHIE FOR BREAKFAST! (with a side of … CTFD)
Yes, a side of calm the (BLEEP) down 🙂 I am in a strange high-stress moment in life right now and looking for all the ways to support my nervous system. This means I will add adaptogens to just about anything, so welcome to my adaptogen smoothie.
What is an Adaptogen?
Adaptogens are a class of herbs that help to normalize or regulate the adrenal response system and improve our reserve or resilience. This class of herbs is able to respond to your internal environment and help to balance what is needed.
Basically, adaptogens help your body handle stress.
What is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha is a medicinal herb that has been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine. It has been long prescribed as an herb to help treat both physical and mental exhaustion.
I use ashwagandha regularly in my practice, it is a very safe intervention for overwork, stress, and exhaustion, i.e. every New Yorker should be taking it.
I use it in powder form, for a mild everyday dose and higher dose pill form for therapeutic interventions with clients. You can find it easily on Amazon, this is the brand I am currently using.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Detailed measurements and ingredients can be found within the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Frozen Banana-Game changing smoothie ingredient that whips everything silky smooth.
- Frozen Strawberries – Fresh will also work here
- Frozen Cauliflower Rice – I know, I know… this seems odd but trust me you don't taste it and it adds a thick creamy consistency plus major nutrient bonus!
- Greek Yogurt – Or coconut-based yogurt if you are dairy-free
- Ashwagandha – This is an adaptogen powder that can support your stress response, I am obsessed.
- Vanilla Protein Powder – Any kind you use and love.
- Almond Milk – Or any plant milk will work here.
TOOLS YOU WILL USE:
THE RIGHT BLENDER FOR SMOOTHIES
The right blender makes all of the difference when it comes to thick and creamy, milkshake consistency smoothies. I am a HUGE fan of the Vitamix blender. I've had mine for about 8 years and it is a workhorse in the kitchen. Worth every penny in my opinion.
THE FORMULA FOR GREAT SMOOTHIES EVERY TIME!
Follow this simple formula for healthy and delicious smoothies every single time!
- 1 cup veggies – Either a big handful of greens (spinach or kale), frozen cauliflower rice, or frozen zucchini work really well
- 1 cup (ish) of fruit – I like to use frozen fruit, it's convenient, I always have it on hand, and it makes smoothies thick and creamy
- Protein – I rotate between several different protein powders, or if you tolerate dairy yogurt it a great addition for creaminess and protein
- Fat – I'm always focused on adding good quality fat to my smoothies, this helps make smoothies more satisfying and satiating. Flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, nut butter, avocado, coconut butter, are all good options (I usually use 1 tbsp).
- Functional Add in's – I've said it before and I'll say it again, smoothies are a delicious nutrient delivery system, there are endless opportunities to add in potent superfoods and functional ingredients. Superfood mushroom powders, raw cacao, maca, goji berries, ashwagandha, your options here are endless.
- Liquid – I start with 1/2 cup, usually something creamy like almond milk but sometimes I use iced herbal tea or coconut water. If you like a thinner smoothie use more liquid, thicker smoothie, or smoothie bowl, use less liquid.
MORE EASY BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE!
I can’t wait for you to try this Strawberry Banana Adaptogen Smoothie! When you make it, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @abrapappa or use the hashtag #abraskitchen so I can feature your photo!
If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to rate and leave a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Strawberry Banana Adaptogen Smoothie
- Add all ingredients to blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Drink immediately.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂