Perfectly sweet and tart, and supremely easy slow cooker maple cranberry applesauce. Refined sugar-free, paleo friendly, and the ideal seasonal treat!
Apples + cranberries = true love.
My mouth is literally watering thinking about this combo. I have been living in an apple cranberry dream for weeks. I walk into my kitchen to tinker around with recipes and the only thing on my mind is apples and cranberries. As a muffin? Yes. As a cookie? Hell yes. As a quick oatmeal? Yup. Roasted with Brussels sprouts and pork loin? Oh yeah. Apple cranberry cabbage slaw? Coming soon!
I could go on.
It's all I've wanted, apples and cranberries together forever in every kind of way.
This recipe is the purest form of this union. No other ingredient to get in the way aside from a kiss of maple syrup to bring out the very essence of apples and cranberries. it's simple, easy, fuss-free, and delicious.
This will certainly be on my Thanksgiving table right alongside my Moms' traditional cranberry chutney (she still hasn't approved the sharing of that recipe, but I'm working on her). It will also be a staple alongside my leftovers because if you haven't had a turkey sandwich with apple cranberry sauce yet you are missing out!
Simply peel and core your apples. I used 3 lbs of mixed apples. Whatever was in my large apple bowl that has been overflowing since August. Then add a whole bag of cranberries and a few tablespoons of maple syrup. Let your slow cooker do all the work. I used my instant pot on the slow cooker setting for this recipe. I imagine you could use your instant pot as a pressure cooker and speed up the process but quite frankly apples and cranberries slow cooking in my kitchen produces the most heavenly cozy aroma that I prefer it.
I then transfer to my blender and puree until smooth and silky. If you prefer a chunkier applesauce, use an immersion blender directly in your slow cooker or instant pot and whirl away until you reach the desired consistency.
5 ways to use apple cranberry sauce:
- Swirl into plain yogurt and top with maple cinnamon granola for a festive fall parfait
- Stir into slow-cooked steel cut oats and top with a drizzle of coconut cream
- Roast turkey and cranberry applesauce sandwich, um yeah, you've got to try this!
- Serve alongside roasted pork, Brussels sprouts and acorn squash (my exact dinner last night)
- Add to a muffin or quick bread batter for a low sugar delicious treat.
Thanks for reading Abra's Kitchen! If you make this recipe tag #abraskitchen on Instagram 🙂
[clickToTweet tweet=”Apples + Cranberries = True Love Forever ? Maple Cranberry Applesauce #healthy #applesauce” quote=”Apples + Cranberries = True Love Forever ? “]
Slow Cooker Maple Cranberry Applesauce
- 3 lbs apples about 12 cups
- 12 oz. fresh cranberries about 3 cups
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Peel and core apples and dice into 1" chunks (if you cut them bigger they will take longer to break down)
- Add apples, cranberries and maple syrup to slow cooker. Stir well to combine
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth, alternatively use an immersion blender
- This recipe made enough applesauce to fill 3 (32-ounce) mason jars
- Serving size is 4 ounces
- 3 lbs. of apples equals about 12 cups and filled my 6 quart instant pot to right below the fill line (after the cranberries were added). You don't have to be too precise with this recipe, more or less apples will work equally well
- If you don't have a slow cooker combine all ingredients in a large pot over medium-low heat and cook until apples are tender
- Feel free to add additional spices like cinnamon or star anise. I like this recipe pure and simple