Insanely delicious Brussels sprout pizza with crispy bacon and crumbled blue cheese. 5 ingredients, 20 minutes, one sheet pan. Pizza perfection.
Once in awhile, I'll mention a recipe idea to Jordan, in passing. Like in…”Hey, no big deal here just thinking about making a…”. Super nonchalant. Once in awhile, he will respond with a very big personality “uh-huh”, and then sometimes… once in awhile I will get a “wait, what?”. The “Wait, what?” can be in the form of “that doesn't make sense, let's talk this out” kind of thing, or it can be a “Waiiiiit! Whhaaaaaaat??” Like in, hold on a minute, I'm actually listening to you now.
That later “Wait, what?” the long drawn out dramatic one, that's the one I got when I mentioned this bacon and Brussels sprout pizza.
That sounds amazing, he said, no seriously, you should definitely make that. Then he proceeded to write the recipe down on our chalkboard wall in the kitchen, to be sure I didn't forget the idea.
I did not forget, I even kept a steady supply of blue cheese in the fridge so I was ready for test day (steady supply = I really just want to eat blue cheese every day of my life so… yeah).
This bacon Brussels sprout pizza with blue cheese could not be easier. 5 ingredients, 2o minutes total, one sheet pan, easy cleanup, and the best Friday night dinner ever!
I served it with a big green salad (more greens please) and we snuggled up to a Stranger Things marathon. Perfection (side note: OMG have you seen the second season yet???)
I used store-bought pizza dough, whole wheat from Whole Foods. It was easy enough to work with and I love the combination of earthy whole wheat dough with salty bacon and blue cheese.
Apparently, you should be able to work the dough to fit a standard sheet pan, I am clearly not a very good pizza dough “worker outer” so I used my smaller quarter sheet pan (which is one of my all-time favorite kitchen tools btw).
I then loaded shredded roasted Brussels sprouts, crispy bacon, and crumbled roquefort cheese (my favorite blue) on top. Baked for 10 minutes and then entered pizza paradise.
Tips for Making Great Pizza at Home
- Find good quality pizza dough at your local market or local pizza shop. If you have a pizza shop you love in your area ask them if they sell the dough.
- Always top with veggies. I honestly think pizza tastes better with vegetables on top, it's also a great way to use up leftover roasted veggies (which I did with this pizza)
- Mix up the cheese. Sure mozzarella is the traditional pizza cheese, but goat cheese, blue cheese, even ricotta cheese is fantastic on pizza.
- Dairy free? Not a problem, sometimes I even prefer pizza totally without cheese. I made this pizza again the next day and just rubbed olive oil, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper into the crust then topped with only Brussels sprouts and it was delicious!
Brussels Sprout and Bacon Pizza
- 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sprinkle sea salt and black pepper (about 1/8 tsp of each)
- 1 lb. store bought pizza dough (one 16 ounce package)
- 1/4 lb. bacon cut in small bits
- 1/4 cup blue cheese (I used roquefort)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Spread out Brussels sprouts in a single layer on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside
- While Brussels sprouts are in the oven, cook bacon bits in a small skillet over medium heat cook until brown and crispy (about 7 minutes). Set aside
- Prepare pizza dough by stretching to fit sheet pan, I made the pizza on the same sheet pan I roasted the Brussels sprouts (or use a pizza stone if you have one)
- Increase oven temperature to 450°. Top dough with Brussels sprouts, bacon, crumbled blue cheese, and fresh thyme. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and dough has taken on a darker color
- Serve immediately
- Sub goat cheese, feta cheese, or mozzarella cheese for the blue cheese
- Try using eggplant bacon for a vegetarian version!
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂