Nutty chewy (and super healthy) farro meets a bounty of fresh herbs, perfectly roasted eggplant, garden fresh tomatoes, and lots of kalamata olives! All tossed together in a garlic vinaigrette. This healthy vegan grain salad is easy enough to prepare and so delicious!
What you need for this recipe: farro, eggplant, red bell pepper, red onion, garlic, kalamata olives, capers, dill, parsley, thyme (or any combination of those herbs), tomato, dijon, lemon juice.
There is no time for life talk today, we need to get right down to the business of this recipe. This nutty, chewy farro salad tossed with warm roasted eggplant and cool juicy seasonal tomatoes. Piled high with a ton of fresh herbs, an insane amount of kalamata olives (because mo' olives = mo' better!) and a garlic vinaigrette that you will crave over and over and over again.
This is the salad that you will make again and again all the way through early fall. This is the salad that will finally put to good use all of that eggplant that is flooding in each week from your farmers market or CSA. This is the salad that you will bring to picnics and bbq's and everyone will beg you for the recipe.
This. Is. THE. Salad.
We are looking at:
- Chewy, nutty farro that has the perfect grain pop
- Creamy roasted eggplant
- Briney salty olives
- Garlic vinaigrette … I could probably stop here
- A TON of fresh herbs
- Juicy ripe garden fresh tomatoes
Everything You Need to Know About Farro:
- Farro is an ancient grain, hulled wheat specifically, that originated in the Mesopotamia.
- Farro is technically an “umbrella” term that includes einkorn, emmer, and spelt. These three varieties of farro differ in grain size.
- Farro is a highly nutritious grain and a great source of protein, fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, and zinc.
- Farro contains 6g protein per 1/4 cup and 5 grams fiber.
- Farro does contain gluten and is not recommended for anyone with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
For another delicious farro meal try my Salmon Farro Salad with Corn and Bacon!
How to Cook Farro:
- I prefer to soak farro prior to cooking, this step is optional but I find it increases the digestibility and produces a superior product. To soak: Cover farro with water and allow to soak for 30-50 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Boil farro as you would pasta, set a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Add a good amount of salt. Add farro to boiling water (either soaked or not soaked) and boil until grain is tender and slightly toothsome, typically 30 minutes. If farro has been soaked it will cook in 15-20 minutes.
- Drain farro in a colander.
Simply toss farro with your gorgeous roasted vegetables, add fresh tomatoes, a huge handful of fresh herbs, olives, capers, and toss together with garlic vinaigrette.
I love this salad room temperature or cold right out of the fridge. It is the perfect side dish or main event for a summer picnic or barbeque.
If you make this recipe be sure to tag #abraskitchen on Instagram!
Mediterranean Farro Salad with Roasted Eggplant
- 1 cup farro
- 1 medium eggplant diced into 1" pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 8 cloves garlic cut in half
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs (parsley, dill, and a few sprigs of fresh thyme)
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives sliced
- 2 tbsp capers
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- To cook farro: Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium to large pot. Add salt when water just begins to boil. Add farro and cook for 30-40 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside. *see note for soaked farro cooking time*
- While farro is cooking roast vegetables: Toss eggplant, red pepper, red onion, and garlic with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan in a single layer. Roast in a 350° oven for 40 minutes, tossing several times during roasting.
- Prepare vinaigrette by whisking together all ingredients
- Toss together farro, roasted vegetables, tomato, fresh herbs, capers, olives, and vinaigrette.
- Will keep for 6 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Here are more delicious recipes using eggplant:
Sweet and Spicy Eggplant Bacon
Mini Goat Cheese Eggplant Pizza
Ratatouille Shakshuka with Kale and Feta Cheese
Pin this to your healthy vegan Pinterest board:
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂