Sheet Pan Mini Turkey Meatloaves with purple potatoes and green beans, your busy weeknight healthy dinner savior. Delicious nourishing comfort food cooked on one pan for easy cleanup!
I have some tried and true recipes in my personal repertoire that are assured winners. This BBQ Turkey Meatloaf is one of those. I've made it hundreds of times (that is not an exaggerated number, this was a favorite from my personal chef days I made it weekly for 2 years!) and I have NEVER had to throw away forgotten leftovers.
It is gobbled up every single time. I typically make a double batch for myself and Jordan because it is that big of a family favorite.
It's going to be your new family favorite too.
Let's get cooking!
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE HEALTHY TURKEY MEATLOAF:
- Ground turkey
- BBQ sauce
- Spices: paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Veggies: Zucchini, red pepper, onion, garlic
- Bread crumbs or substitute (see below for subs)
- Potatoes and green beans – or other veggies you love for the sheet pan!
TOOLS YOU'LL NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
HOW TO MAKE MEATLOAF HEALTHIER:
Honestly, I don't consider meatloaf to be an “unhealthy” meal. Comfort food? Definitely. Reputation as an “exhausted mom meal”? Yup. Can it be elevated into something more? Absolutely.
Here are some of my tricks to upgrade meatloaf:
- Start with high-quality ground protein. I use ground turkey in this recipe which is actually quite difficult to find organic. You can use organic ground chicken or grass-fed ground beef. I love Butcher Box as a great source for high-quality grass-fed pasture-raised meat.
- Add veggies! Meatloaf is the perfect vehicle to add a ton of nutrient-dense veggies. Not only for the nutrition upgrade but also to improve the texture of meatloaf. I find the more veggies I add the more tender and moist the meatloaf, win-win!
- Substitute breadcrumbs – If you are gluten-free or reducing your consumption of grains and /or gluten you can easily sub for quinoa, oats, or even leave the breadcrumbs out entirely.
- Reduce the sugary sauce – In this recipe, I use a high-quality, low sugar BBQ sauce. You can make your own like this paleo BBQ sauce recipe from Against All Grain. For storebought brands I like Primal Kitchen and Red Duck.
HOW TO SUBSTITUTE BREADCRUMBS IN MEATLOAF:
Super simple! Here are a few options:
- In most recipes (this one included) you can eliminate entirely. The texture will be slightly different but it will work!
- Quinoa – use cooked quinoa in a 1:1 substitute for breadcrumbs
- Rolled Oats – 1:1 substitute for breadcrumbs. Oats have more fiber and less calories ounce for ounce than breadcrumbs. I use oats frequently in meatloaf with great success
DIETARY MODIFICATIONS FOR TURKEY MEATLOAF:
- Gluten-Free – Use gluten-free breadcrumbs, oats or quinoa in place of regular breadcrumbs
- Paleo – Eliminate breadcrumbs, use a no-sugar bbq sauce
- Low Fodmap – Eliminate the onion and garlic, use a low-fodmap friendly bbq sauce.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH HEALTHY TURKEY MEATLOAF:
Side dish domination is my superhero name. I am the queen of sides, because… well… VEGGIES!
Here are some great ideas:
- Potatoes and green beans – doesn't get more classic than this. Since this is a mini meatloaf/ sheet pan dinner recipe simply roast those potatoes and green beans alongside your meatloaf. You can use sweet potato, or purple potatoes, or white potatoes.
- Mashed parsnips and potatoes – this Instant Pot mashed potato recipe will change your life!
- A big salad – Try this Burrata Beet Panzanella salad or a Strawberry Avocado Salad, or a Kale Caesar
NUTRITION NERD CORNER 🤓
Why Purple Potatoes are Superior to White or Sweet Potatoes!
Native to Peru, purple potatoes have 4 times the antioxidant potential than other potatoes. Purple potatoes score as high as Brussels sprouts, kale and spinach on the antioxidant power scale. They are nutrient-rich packed with potassium, vitamin C, folic acid, and iron.
HOW TO PROPERLY STORE AND REHEAT TURKEY MEATLOAF:
The best part about meatloaf is leftovers!
- Store: In a sealed glass container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
- Reheat: I prefer to reheat in the oven or a toaster oven 350° for 10 minutes. You can also reheat in the microwave, or in the air fryer (390° 10 minutes).
More Quick and Healthy Weeknight Dinners You Will Love!
Southwestern Sweet Potato Skillet
Grass-Fed Beef and Zucchini Skillet Supper
Tofu and Kale Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Spicy Crunchy Salmon Sheet Pan
I hope you love this Healthy BBQ Turkey Meatloaf Recipe! If you make it be sure to tag me, @abrapappa on Instagram so I can see your masterpiece!
Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaf Sheet Pan Dinner
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce + more for topping
- 1 lb. baby purple potatoes, quartered
- 1 lb. green beans
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In a small saucepan over medium heat saute onion and bell pepper in avocado oil until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Combine ground turkey, sauteed veggies, zucchini, egg, breadcrumbs, BBQ sauce and all spices in a large bowl. Using your hands, mix well until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Form meatloaf into 4 mini loaves and arrange on a baking sheet leaving room for veggies. Top each loaf with additional bbq sauce.
- Prepare potatoes by quartering and tossing in 1/2 tbsp avocado oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange on a sheet tray in a single layer around the meatloaf.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While potatoes and meatloaf are roasting prepare green beans by tossing with remaining avocado oil, salt, and pepper.
- Remove meatloaf and potatoes from oven and arrange green beans around the meatloaf on the sheet pan. Return to oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve each meatloaf with potatoes and green beans.
- You can easily substitute ground beef or chicken for the turkey in this recipe.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂