Earl grey roasted pears filled with coconut cream and drizzled with a warm chocolate sauce is an insanely delicious, quick and easy, healthy dessert. With only 6 simple ingredients, perfect holiday entertaining! Paleo, gluten-free, and vegan.
Desserts will happen, it's the holiday season. It's inevitable, and it's also totally ok. As much as I love decadent holiday desserts (and trust me I do), I also love having lighter, healthier options.
These roasted pears are the perfect healthy holiday treat to serve at a large gathering or on a chilly, intimate weekday evening that needs a little extra sparkle.
Sweet and floral pears, roasted to perfection, that have absorbed rich bergamot flavor and sweet maple. Filled with coconut cream, drizzled with heavenly chocolate, and topped with salty crunchy roasted almonds. Are you drooling yet?
This is one of those recipes that you make once and can't believe how easy it is. It is beautiful and impressive to serve at a holiday gathering and completely allergen-friendly, no processed sugar, no gluten, no dairy, and you can easily remove the nuts if you have nut allergy peeps in your circle.
The star here is clearly the pear. Which, in my humble opinion, is a way undervalued fruit. I love how floral and layered a pear can taste. I bit into one just last night and said to Jordan, you've got to taste this… it tastes like a bouquet of flowers. He rolled his eyes. His loss, my gain. No more pear sharing in our house!
To make this perfectly healthy and yet perfectly decadent dessert, simply roast the pears in a maple earl grey tea bath for 40 minutes. Once tender and infused with all the bergamot and maple goodness arrange on a beautiful platter and fill each pear with a little spoonful of coconut milk that has been married with your leftover pear/earl grey liquid (OMG the deliciousness is out of control!) then drizzle with warm chocolate and top with crunchy roasted almonds. I would take this dessert over a piece of cake any day.
You can easily place this on any dessert table this holiday season and literally please every single person at the party! Every single one!
Simple, decadent, and yet healthy. I'm just going to go ahead and declare this the official dessert of the 2017 holiday season, are you with me?
While we are making declarations, let's also officially declare Earl Grey + Chocolate the flavor combo of the century?
Thanks for reading Abra's Kitchen! If you make this recipe tag #abraskitchen on Instagram 🙂
Earl Grey Roasted Pears with Warm Chocolate Sauce
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Cut the pears in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds (I use a small melon baller, but a spoon works as well). Place in a baking dish, flesh side down.
- Steep earl grey tea by combining 2 tea bags with 8 ounces of boiling water. Steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and stir in maple syrup.
- Pour tea mixture over pears and roast in oven for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven and carefully arrange pears on a serving dish. Reserving cooking liquid.
- Spoon a generous amount of coconut cream into the cavity of each pear.
- Over a double boiler melt chocolate chips, stirring frequently (alternatively, you can melt the chocolate in the microwave. Add chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30-second intervals, stirring between heating, until melted.)
- Drizzle pears with melted dark chocolate and toasted almonds.
- I keep the skin on the pear, you can peel the pear and remove it but I happen to like the textural contrast. There also happens to be quite a lot of fiber and nutrients in the skin.
- To create perfect chocolate for drizzling simply melt dark chocolate chips over a double boiler, or in a pinch melt in your microwave. Just be careful to not scorch the chocolate.
- My favorite earl grey tea is Stash brand Double Bergamot Earl Grey it is rich and smooth and perfect for this recipe.
- Lightly toast the almonds by placing in a hot skillet for 2-3 minutes.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂