Homemade applesauce is a breeze to make in the slow cooker. This recipe adds seasonal pears, lots of cinnamon, and is refined sugar free!
We are going to file this one under, “good problems to have”. The problem?
Two people + Five pounds of fruit every week for 24 weeks – One person who doesn't really eat fruit = A LOT of fruit for ME!
This is a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture – the farm share I get every week) problem, again, a good problem to have, but a challenge nonetheless.
In the summer it was a total no brainer, I would juice some of the fruit (concord grapes juiced OMG!), or freeze what I couldn't eat, use the frozen fruit for smoothies, or make jam like this one, or a sweet treat like this.
Then we entered apple and pear season, for the past 7+ weeks I have received 5 pounds of apples and pears! I am swimming in apples and pears. Swimming people!
Jordan asked for an apple pie, I said no. He only eats apples in pie, and I haven't made a pie crust in about 10 years. Sorry babe, not gonna happen.
The next obvious solution was applesauce, which I know freezes well and is a perfect lovely sweet treat.
I have actually never made applesauce, so naturally I called my Mom for advice. She listed out her long recipe which included a ton of sugar and butter and about 10 other ingredients. My Mom can coooooooook! I was like, um no… I want something easier.
Me: “Do you think I can make it in the slow cooker, Mom?”
Me: “I don't want to use sugar though, I can do it without sugar right?”
Mom: “Abra, don't be an idiot, just use some damn sugar. You need sugar, that's what helps create the ‘sauce' part of the apple sauce.”
Yup, that's my Mamma, she tells it like it is.
So I compromised and used coconut palm sugar and about 80% less than what typical apple sauce recipes call for, and made it in the slow cooker.
First taste…the skies opened up and the angels sang.
Seriously, I have made this FOUR times. Four huge batches of apple pear sauce. I am a total apple pear sauce addict.
I have about 10 servings frozen and just think this is the easiest and best recipe in the whole wide world.
I even taught this recipe in a live/virtual cooking class a few weeks ago, were you on the class? Have you made it?
So, I love you Mom, but my almost sugar free apple pear sauce is incredible. Just ask those singing angels.
Slow Cooker Apple Pear Sauce
- Slow Cooker
- 10 apples peeled, cored, and diced
- 8 pears cored, and diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Peel and core apples and chop into larger chunks. Core pears and chop into same size pieces as apples. (I keep the skin of the pear on, you can keep the apple skin on too if you prefer)
- Add to a slow cooker, top with cinnamon and sugar. Stir in water.
- Set on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Do not open the slow cooker while it is doing it's business.
- When finished run a fork through the apples and pears. They will just fall apart and this will yield a chunky apple, pear sauce. If you like it smoother, transfer to a blender and blend until you reach desired consistency.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂
Share Your Thoughts