As a nutritionist, this is my go-to green smoothie recipe! This banana spinach smoothie is creamy, wholesome, protein-packed, and delicious! And a great way to add more greens to your diet.
We all need that ONE go-to smoothie recipe that always satisfies, but also packs the nutrition punch that we are looking for.
You can enjoy this as a quick breakfast, post-workout meal, or late afternoon snack.
YOU WILL LOVE THIS!
- Do you love peanut butter and banana together? Of course you do! you aren't a monster! This smoothie tastes like a thick and delicious peanut butter banana shake
- Freezer and pantry staples – you most likely have these simple 6 ingredients on hand.
- Nourishing and Satisfying – thanks to the perfect combination of fiber, fat, and protein (my favorite nutrition trifecta) this smoothie is both satisfying and good for you!
Let's Get Blending!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BEST EVER GREEN SMOOTHIE?
This recipe requires a few simple ingredients. With all smoothie recipes, you can easily make ingredient swaps, but I find it is best to follow a smoothie recipe exactly as written to better understand the flavor profile, thickness, sweetness, etc., and then riff as needed. And trust me you will make this smoothie more than once!
- Banana – Frozen bananas will make your smoothie even creamier (see tip below) but a fresh banana works as well
- Spinach – Fresh baby spinach (a staple in my fridge) or frozen spinach will work
- Peanut Butter – I prefer creamy peanut butter in this recipe. When purchasing peanut butter look for the following: peanuts should be the first ingredient, and there should ideally only be a few ingredients (i.e. peanuts and salt). Avoid peanut butter that contains added hydrogenated oils, sugars, and sweeteners, or is labeled as “low fat”.
- Chia Seeds – Bring on the fiber! I also love the texture of chia seeds in smoothies
- Vanilla Protein Powder – I have an upcoming post on my favorite protein powders!
- Almond Milk – You can honestly use any plant-based milk that you like but almond is my favorite in this recipe
TOOLS YOU WILL USE FOR THIS RECIPE
HEALTHY SMOOTHIE-MAKING IS EASY WITH THESE TIPS!
- Start with Greens – or any veggies really. I've said it 1000x smoothies are nutrient delivery systems and the perfect opportunity to use up veggies you have hanging out in your fridge. Any type of leafy green works, but I also love frozen zucchini, frozen cauliflower rice, and even hydrating veggies like cucumbers are a great smoothie add-in
- Add fruit – I usually opt for a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio of fruit:vegetables. You can use a variety of fruits, fresh or frozen.
- Add a healthy liquid base – depending on the smoothie I will typically use some kind of plant-based milk (if it's a creamy smoothie that lends itself to that flavor profile) or for more hydrating smoothies I will use water or coconut water
- Add healthy fat – Nut butter, coconut butter, and avocado are my favorite healthy fat additions. Don't forget that healthy fats help you absorb the fat-soluble nutrients in fruits and veggies! So the addition of healthy fat is crucial
- Don't forget protein – You can get protein from nut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, or even a good amount of hemp seeds, but if you aren't using enough of any of these ingredients I recommend using a high-quality protein powder
- Boost it up with superfoods – I love to play kitchen witch so this is my favorite step but it is absolutely optional. Things like spices count as superfoods (turmeric, ginger, cinnamon) or you can add chia seeds, maca, or goji berries!
DIETARY MODIFICATIONS FOR THIS RECIPE:
This recipe is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, vegan, and vegetarian, and modifiable in the following ways:
- Paleo, Whole-30 Compliant – Technically peanuts are a legume and thus not permitted on a paleo or Whole 30 protocol, you can swap for almond butter to make this smoothie recipe compliant.
I can’t wait for you to try my favorite green smoothie recipe! If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Banana Spinach Green Smoothie
- High speed blender
- Add all ingredients to blender, blend until smooth. Enjoy!
- I start with 1/2 cup liquid and 4-6 ice cubes and add more liquid as needed but I prefer a super thick smoothie. Adjust liquid to your preference
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂