I was doing a cooking segment with a fabulous woman in fitness a few years ago and during rehearsal she leaned over and whispered in my ear, “I never cook, I have no idea how to cook and I don’t want to learn. The only thing I use in my kitchen is my blender – all smoothies all the time.”
I had so many follow-up questions for her! So many! How! How did she only use her blender? How do you survive on blender meals alone? Did she ever chew? Was everything blended? Like everything?…
Then sadly, 5-4-3-2-1 You are live!
We finished the segment and I traveled on my merry way. Alas, never getting the answers to my questions.
I feel a little bit sad when I think about blender babe, I have an image of this gorgeous woman going home to a kitchen without any fun gadgets, except, for one blender. The only thing she prepares for herself she will drink out of a straw.
Never a sear, never a roast, just a blend. Ho Hum.
I was thinking of her today when I was whipping up this recipe for watermelon gazpacho. Would blender babe want to make this? Could this be the entry recipe into a world of cooking for all of those blender babes that never cook? I think it damn well has the potential.
So listen. This recipe. This recipe. THIS RECIPE is IT. It hits all the right notes. Refreshing, a tiny hint of spice, a bit of sweet, perfect combo of texture. Watermelon Gazpacho, get it in your mouth!
What’s that you say, Abra? Texture? Yes, blender babes, this one has texture and you are going to love it! (it also requires that you use a knife, but it’s totally worth it ok?!)
Give it a try, I think it might just become a new summer staple in your house and maybe even a NEW way to use your blender.
Ok, so tell me below. Truth time! Do you use your blender for a lot of meals? What’s your favorite thing to un-cook in the summer?
- 4 cups of watermelons
- 3 to matoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 bunch of scallion
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 cucumber
- fresh basil for garnish
- a pinch of sea salt
- Combine in a blender 3 cups roughly chopped watermelon, 2 tomatoes, 1/2 jalapeno, 1/2 bunch scallions, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, a pinch of sea salt, and lime juice. Blend until smooth and no bits of veggies remain.
- Chop remaining watermelon, tomatoes, cucumber, green bell pepper, jalapeno, and scallions into a very small dice and add to a large bowl.
- Pour blender contents into bowl with chopped veggies, stir and taste for seasoning. Add a little bit of salt if needed.
- Place bowl in the refrigerator and allow to chill for 2-3 hours.
- Ladle well-chilled gazpacho into bowls and top with chopped fresh basil.
- Call all of your friends and tell them how horribly sad it is that they aren't able to taste this watermelon gazpacho, if you like them enough share the recipe.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂