A light and refreshing chilled summer soup, savory with a touch of sweetness from the watermelon. Watermelon, tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeno, scallions, and fresh herbs are the stars of this healthy soup!
Update: This post was originally published in August, 2017. It has been updated with new photos and a revised recipe.
If you are new here, let me introduce myself. My name is Abra, I'm obsessed with soup.
I eat soup for breakfast more mornings than I care to share. When I ponder what I want for lunch or dinner a solid 85% of the time my immediate intuitive thought is, soup.
I love soup. My soul is a 98-year-old, toothless woman, that just wants to eat soup all day long.
Now it's summer. Oh, the horror. No more soup.
Hello, gazpacho you gorgeous vixen!
I've spent a lot of time in Spain over the last 5 years and I've come to love and honor their attachment to gazpacho.
While in Sevilla a few years ago, on a very hot (at least 100°) day, the most nourishing delicious treat was gazpacho. Often served sipping style in a glass. Always chilled. Always full of flavor.
When I came home from that trip I started throwing summer produce into my blender until I came up with my favorite version of all – watermelon gazpacho.
How to Make Watermelon Gazpacho
- Combine watermelon, fresh summer tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, jalapeno (optional), and scallion to a blender. Blend until super smooth.
- Turn blender on low and slowly incorporate olive oil.
- Add white balsamic vinegar – a splash of vinegar takes this soup to the next level!
- Add fresh lime juice and a pinch of salt.
- I like texture in my gazpacho so I also chop all the veggies that are in the soup in a very small dice and pour the liquid over the chopped veggies. You can totally skip this step if you don't feel like chopping.
- Top the soup with fresh herbs, I use mint and basil.
More Light and Healthy Summery Recipes:
Topping Ideas for Watermelon Gazpacho
- Fresh garlic croutons
- Grilled shrimp
- Crumbled feta cheese
A versatile, healthy, refreshing, and easy summer soup. Ready in 10 minutes!
I can't wait to see your Watermelon Gazpacho. When you make this recipe be sure to tag me on Instagram @abrapappa #AbrasKitchen
- High speed blender
- Combine in a blender 3 cups roughly chopped watermelon, 2 tomatoes, 1/2 jalapeno, 1/2 bunch scallions, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 green bell pepper, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and lime juice. Blend until smooth and no bits of veggies remain.
- Chop remaining watermelon, tomatoes, cucumber, green bell pepper, jalapeno, and scallions into a very small dice and add to a large bowl.
- Pour blender contents into bowl with chopped veggies, stir and taste for seasoning. Add a little bit of salt if needed.
- Place bowl in the refrigerator and allow to chill for 2-3 hours.
- Ladle well-chilled gazpacho into bowls and top with chopped fresh basil and mint.
- Eliminate green pepper
- Eliminate jalapeno
- Add crumbled feta on top (OMG!)
- Use more or less tomato
- Use more or less watermelon
- Eliminate vinegar and use more lime juice
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂