This easy recipe for simple roasted butternut squash will quickly become a staple in your healthy cooking repertoire. Plus ideas for different seasonings and ways to use butternut squash in a variety of ways.
If you love this recipe you should try these simple roasted sweet potatoes and creamy mashed cauliflower.
As much as I love getting super creative in the kitchen I also rely heavily on basic healthy recipes. Simple roasted vegetables, proteins, grains, and easy sauces.
I love sharing these foundational healthy recipes as an inspirational jumping-off point, and also simple solutions to getting healthy food on the table quickly and without much thought.
Simple roasted butternut squash is a recipe within a recipe within a recipe. Once you master this simple method you can make dozens of fun delicious side dishes, main dishes, and even desserts!
Ok, let's get cooking.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH INGREDIENTS:
Detailed measurements and ingredients can be found within the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Fresh Butternut Squash – most butternut squashes weigh around 2-3 lbs. Any size will work for this recipe
- Avocado Oil – coconut oil or olive oil will also work
- Sea Salt – A sprinkle of sea salt makes all the difference. Salt will enhance the sweet earthy flavor of butternut squash.
- Optional Seasoning – See the notes below for some additional seasoning ideas. Simple salt and pepper also works 100% of the time!
TOOLS YOU WILL USE:
- Y Peeler – This is a GAME changer when it comes to prepping a whole butternut squash. A very inexpensive tool that you will use a million times over.
- Large Sheet Pan
HOW TO PEEL BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
I know, I know… you can purchase pre-cut, pre-chopped butternut squash and listen, sometimes that is ok. However, I will tell you definitively that freshly peeled and chopped butternut squash tastes FAR better. It is sweeter and richer and worth the 5 minutes.
To peel butternut squash use a good quality sharp peeler. A Y-peeler (the green tool in the picture) is my preferred peeler.
HOW TO CUT BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- Once the squash has been peeled slice off the top 1/2 inch (including the stem) and the bottom 1/2 inch and discard.
- Stand the squash up and slice through the center. Scoop out the seeds and pulp and discard them and then dice the squash into cubes.
HOW TO SEASON BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
Butternut squash is an excellent blank canvas for so many different flavor combinations. If you want to be able to use it in a variety of ways once it is roasted then keep it simple, otherwise here are some of my favorite combinations:
- Fresh rosemary and garlic
- Garlic powder and paprika
- Chili powder and dried oregano
- Chinese five-spice powder (this is a blend of warming spices like cinnamon, clove, and star anise)
- Fresh thyme, rosemary, and black pepper
HOW TO USE ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- Serve as is. Roasted butternut squash is a perfect simple side dish with roasted protein like roasted chicken breast or roasted salmon
- Make butternut squash soup – this is one of my favorite recipes for maple curry butternut squash soup
- Add to chili! – Like in this quinoa and butternut squash chili
- Add to baked goods – like these butternut squash brownies or cinnamon sweet potato bread (yes it is called sweet potato but you could easily use butternut squash in place of sweet potato
- Add to salads – like in this black bean and butternut squash salad or a farro salad with kale and cranberries.
- Mash and add to macaroni and cheese – Probably one of my all-time favorite ways to use roasted butternut squash!
HOW TO STORE ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
Roasted butternut squash can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it by spreading it out on a parchment-covered baking sheet in an even layer, put in the freezer for 4+ hours or until frozen solid. Remove from the baking sheet and store in a freezer bag or storage container, freeze for up to 4 months.
I can’t wait for you to try this Simple Roasted Butternut Squash! When you make it, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @abrapappa or use the hashtag #abraskitchen so I can feature your photo!
If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to rate and leave a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Simple Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash 2-3 pounds
- 1-2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- optional: additional seasoning (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Peel and cut the butternut squash into small cubes
- Toss butternut squash with avoacod oil until evenly coated
- Arrange the squash in an even layer on a large baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and any additional seaasoning you prefer (see notes)
- Roast for 30-40 minutes or until the squash is tender and lightly golden, tossing once during cooking. The total time needed will depend on the size of your dice.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂
Share Your Thoughts