This grain-free baked feta “pasta” is my feel-good variation of the viral TikTok recipe. We swap out the pasta for the great and twirl-able spaghetti squash in this rendition. A wonderfully creamy sauce of feta cheese, bursting tomatoes, Kalamata olives, and chili flake makes this an irresistible weeknight supper. Believe the hype about this recipe, my food-loving friend, this is a good one.
The internet has gone mad for this baked feta pasta recipe. You couldn’t find a slab of feta cheese in all of Finland when this recipe went viral. And why is that? Well, it is because we all want lots of ideas and tricks to make dinnertime easy, quick, and pleasurable. And I am going to add to that list, healthy. This recipe ticks all those boxes. To be able to chuck a bunch of ingredients in a baking dish and create a fantastic sauce is magic. Even more surprising is that you can have all the benefits of this robust sauce without using pasta. Of course, you can use pasta if you want, and alternative kinds of pasta would do exceptionally well with these Mediterranean flavors. The squash, though, is quite pleasing to eat and gives you all the energy and high-vibes of plant-powered goodness.
Let's Get Cooking!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Detailed measurements and ingredients can be found within the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Feta Cheese- I wouldn't substitute the feta. The flavor and texture of the cheese make the sauce.
- Spaghetti Squash-Choose a good size squash so that you have lots of veg to work with.
- Kalamata Olives- You could use any olives that you like but kalamata pairs beautifully with the feta cheese.
- Cherry Tomatoes- The bursting open of these tomatoes help to create the sauce. I would stick to the program here.
- Shallot and Garlic- You can substitute other types of onions but shallots work best.
- Zucchini- Yellow squash, spinach, or broccoli would work as an alternative.
TOOLS YOU WILL USE:
HOW TO MAKE BAKED FETA PASTA:
STEP ONE: In a baking dish combine tomatoes and veggies, nestle a block of feta cheese into the center. Season with olive oil, fresh rosemary, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
Bake until tomatoes burst and feta is caramelized and creamy. It will look like this:
STEP TWO: Next, take a wooden spoon and stir together the creamy melted feta cheese, burst tomatoes, olives, and veggies (remove rosemary)
STEP THREE: Add cooked spaghetti squash to creamy feta tomato sauce
STEP FOUR: Stir all together, add more feta on top (optional) and place under broiler to warm through and toast remaining feta. Remove from oven, sprinkle with parsley.
STEP FIVE: Dive in! Your entire family is going to LOVE this recipe
IS FETA CHEESE GOOD WARM?
Yes! Feta cheese is fantastic warmed. It is a great appetizer with bread or as a topping for pizza, a filling in quiche or spanakopita.
DOES FETA CHEESE MELT IN THE OVEN?
Not exactly. It does not act gooey like melted mozzarella on pizza. Feta becomes quite soft and creamy when roasted in the oven. Warming feta also enhances its already punchy flavor.
DIETARY MODIFICATIONS FOR THIS RECIPE:
This recipe is gluten-free, vegetarian, and keto-friendly.
- Vegan – Vegan feta or nut cheese would be a great alternative
MORE RECIPES FEATURING FETA CHEESE THAT YOU WILL LOVE:
I can’t wait for you to try this Baked Feta and Olive Spaghetti Squash Recipe! When you make it, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @abrapappa or use the hashtag #abraskitchen so I can feature your photo!
If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to rate and leave a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Baked Feta and Olive Spaghetti Squash
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 large zucchini chopped
- 2 small shallots quartered
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives pitted
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 8 oz. block of feta cheese cut off 1 oz. and reserve
- 1 whole spaghetti squash cooked (see notes)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. parsley chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a bowl toss together zucchini, tomatoes, olives, shallot, garlic and rosemary. Coat in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put veggie mixture in a baking dish. Place feta in the center and drizzle with olive oil and season with crushed pepper.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the tomatoes pop. Remove from oven.
- Stir the ingredients in baking dish. The feta will be creamy and turn into a luscious sauce.
- Stir in spaghetti squash. Crumbled the additional piece of feta on top.
- Place under the broiler for about 5-10 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown.
- Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve hot.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds.
- Place on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until you can easily pierce the skin of the squash with a fork.
- Once the squash is cool enough to handle. Scrape and pull the squash noodle strands out with a fork. Enjoy in your favorite recipe.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂