This margarita recipe is sure to be your summer signature cocktail! Refreshing tart and aromatic rhubarb chamomile syrup paired with tequila, triple, sec, and fresh lemon juice. Let's get shaking and make some margaritas! Mocktail recipe included.
Summer entertaining is so much better with a homemade cocktail/mocktail. A few simple ingredients, a quick mixology lesson, and you are ready to create your own signature cocktails/mocktails!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Once you have a homemade margarita you will NEVER buy pre-made mix again – literally never!
- Learning to make a simple syrup with fresh seasonal ingredients is basically the blueprint for developing all kinds of fun cocktails and mocktails
Let's Get Shaking!
Detailed measurements and ingredients can be found within the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Fresh Rhubarb + Chamomile + Sugar = Rhubarb Chamomile Simple Syrup – This recipe starts with a homemade rhubarb chamomile syrup. Super simple you basically boil the ingredients together and strain them to make a concentrated syrup. Full instructions can be found here
- Tequila – I prefer silver tequila in margaritas
- Triple sec – Orange liqueur, Cointreau or Grand Marnier will also work but triple sec will produce a lighter more refreshing cocktail
- Lemon juice – fresh is best
- NOTE – For the mocktail version, you will need the rhubarb chamomile simple syrup + water + lemon juice
TOOLS YOU WILL USE:
- Cutting board
- Good knife
- Cocktail shaker (optional)
- Make the simple syrup
- Combine simple syrup, tequila, triple sec, and lemon juice. Shake well with ice.
- Pour into a glass that has been rimmed with salt and filled with fresh ice.
MIXOLOGY TIPS FOR PERFECT COCKTAILS EVERY SINGLE TIME!
Did you know I was a bartender in Greenwich Village NYC for 10 years? Yup, this healthy nutritionist has led many lives. Of all the lessons I learned during that life stage (and there were many) how to make a fantastic cocktail is by far the most useful.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Measure the alcohol! After a ton of practice, you may be able to eyeball quantity but until then I highly recommend measuring. You can purchase a little shot measurer, called a “jigger” which easily measures your shots in ounces. Or use your measuring spoons 1 ounce = 2 tablespoons
- Balance your cocktail. More alcohol is not always better, this is a common error I see in home cocktail making. Here are a few tips to balance your drink:
- *Too sweet – add a spoonful of lime or lemon juice
- *Too sour – add simple syrup
- *Too strong – add water or soda (club soda)
- *Too weak – add more sprits
- Learn when to shake and when to stir – Shaking a cocktail adds tiny air bubbles resulting in a lighter, more refreshing cocktail. I am a fan of a vigorous shake for most summer cocktails. Stirring will provide a warmer, clearer, heavier mouthfeel, perfect for stronger drinks like martinis or winter sippers like bourbon drinks.
THE PERFECT MARGARITA FORMULA:
- Tequila = 1.5 ounces
- Triple Sec = 1 ounce
- Lime Juice (or in this case lemon juice) = 3/4 ounce
- Simple Syrup = 1/2 ounce (basic simple syrup recipe is 1:1 sugar or agave to water)
MARGARITA TWEAKS – HOW TO MAKE IT YOUR OWN:
I happen to prefer a margarita that hits you first with tart citrus and then is balanced by salt and sweet.
Sweet, dry, tart, strong, or weak? How do you like your margarita? Add more sugar, lime juice, tequila, or less of any to adjust to your taste.
Turn this rhubarb chamomile margarita into rhubarb chamomile lemonade! A refreshing mocktail for all to enjoy!
Simply combine 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice with 6 cups water and 1 cup rhubarb chamomile simple syrup. You can rim the glasses with a salt-sugar combo, and garnish with fresh lemon and rhubarb.
MORE DRINK RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
Fennel Cucumber Spritzer
Apple Cider Sparkler
Tart Cherry Sleepytime Elixir
I can’t wait for you to try this Rhubarb Chamomile Margarita recipe! When you make it, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @abrapappa or use the hashtag #abraskitchen so I can feature your photo!
If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Rhubarb Chamomile Margarita
- 1.5 ounces silver tequila 3 tbsp
- 1 ounce triple sec 2 tbsp
- 2 ounces lemon juice 4 tbsp
- 1 ounce rhubarb chamomile syrup 2 tbsp
- seltzer water
- salt for serving
- If you would like salt-rimmed glasses (you should, you really should!), begin by running the juicy part of a lemon wedge around the top rim of a glass. Fill a shallow plate or bowl with kosher salt, and dip the rim of the glass in the salt until it is covered with salt. Set aside.
- Add tequila, triple sec, lemon juice, and rhubarb chamomile simple syrup to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously for 15-30 seconds. Taste, if you would like it sweeter or tarter add more lemon juice or simple syrup.
- Fill reserved glass with ice. Pour margarita mixture over the ice and top with a bit of seltzer water (optional, but I love a bubbly drink).
- Garnish with lemon slice, rhubarb, chamomile, or nothing at all 🙂
RHUBARB CHAMOMILE SIMPLE SYRUP
- Combine 3 cups chopped rhubarb, 3 tbsp dried chamomile, 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes until "mushy". Strain, add back to pot wth sugar and cook until sugar is dissolved.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂
Share Your Thoughts