This pumpkin turkey chili recipe is sweet and spicy, the perfect combination of pumpkin, ground turkey, warming spices, and lots of black beans. Yum!
I was going to wait another week to post this recipe, wait until it was a little chillier outside and we were a little bit closer to Halloween. Then I walked past a totally creepy Halloween decorated brownstone in my neighborhood and I thought…oh, this recipe cannot wait another minute! Halloween decorations are up, it's time for PUMPKIN!!!!
So here you have it friends, a pretty straightforward pumpkin turkey chili recipe. Adding pumpkin to chili adds a lovely sweetness and depth of flavor. You do want to cook it for at least an hour, or ideally allow it to simmer on low for several hours. The longer it cooks the better the texture will be.
I am taking off for Italy tomorrow, 2 weeks of travel fun, so I will miss the American pumpkin explosion this year. Although I am sure while strolling through the various fall Tuscan food festivals, I won't miss the pumpkin.
The porcini mushrooms and chestnuts will just have to fit the bill this year. Oh, poor me 😉
Best news ever is that I will have a kitchen for the whole trip! Do you know what a dream that is?? I can actually shop at the markets and bring home the goods to cook! So enjoy this perfect fall recipe until I come back when I will be sure to share a ton of Italian-inspired treats!
Happy Fall! I hope you love this recipe as much as I do.
I am off to NINJA pack, only a carry on for two weeks, I am a miracle worker! Follow me on Instagram to check out my travel photos 🙂
Also check out this vegetarian chili recipe that has been a family favorite for years! Chocolate Stout Vegetarian Chili.
Do you love chili as much as me? I created a roundup of 10 healthy and creative chili recipes for you here: 10 Healthy Chili Recipes
Pumpkin Turkey Chili
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound organic ground turkey
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoons of cumin ground
- 1/2 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 15 oz. cans of organic diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. cans of organic black beans
- 2 tablespoons of coconut palm sugar
- sour cream
- sliced jalapenos
- In a large stock pot, over medium heat, add one tablespoon olive oil and ground turkey, cook until browned about 5 minutes. Remove turkey from pot and set aside.
- Add to pot remaining olive oil, onion, bell pepper, and garlic sauté for 5-7 minutes or until tender, but not mushy. Add all dry seasoning and stir well to coat.
- Add beans, tomato, pumpkin, chicken stock and coconut palm sugar and return turkey to the pot.
- Partially cover, reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer for at least one hour. Stirring frequently.
- Taste and add seasoning if necessary.
- Serve in bowls with sour cream and sliced jalapeno
- The longer you cook this, the better it is. This is a "put a pot of pumpkin turkey chili on the stove, and watch a football game" kind of meal 🙂
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂