In 15 minutes flat you can have kimchi cauliflower fried rice on the dinner table, topped with a perfect egg, sliced scallions, and nutty sesame seeds. A perfectly balanced, and supremely tasty quick and healthy meal.
Last week I asked my newsletter subscribers what kind of recipes they were most longing for and the majority requested quick, healthy weeknight dinner recipes. I totally get it, the dinner rush is hectic, chaotic, and it can be a challenge to get something tasty and quick on the table.
Enter cauliflower rice.
Are you into the cauliflower rice craze? Full disclosure, this is the first time I've tried it. Total winner.
First of all, you can typically find “riced” cauliflower in the freezer section of Trader Joe's and Whole Food's (not always, so keep your eyes peeled!) I happen to almost always have a head of cauliflower in my fridge so I just “riced” it myself. The food processor works perfectly, it's quick and easy, but you can also use a box grater which is supposed to produce a more uniform result.
Once you have the cauliflower ready to go it's just a matter of sauteeing it with your favorite flavors and you have a healthy tasty meal in 15 minutes flat.
I used kimchi as the flavor superstar in this recipe, a traditional spicy fermented Korean dish, kimchi happens to be one of my all-time favorite foods. I absolutely love how the kimchi mellows out when you cook it, the perfect pair to the delicate cauliflower. If you want to retain the most health benefits and beneficial bacteria found in the kimchi don't cook it as long as I do. In this application, I find it perfectly ok to forgo the probiotic like effect of kimchi and instead harness the flavor potential.
The egg is an essential component, break the yolk and let it run down and flavor the cauliflower rice.
Top with sliced scallions, and toasty sesame seeds. I like to sprinkle a little bit of black salt over the egg, purely because I think it looks pretty 🙂
Thanks for reading Abra's Kitchen! To see what goodness I'm whipping up be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. If you make this recipe tag #abraskitchen on Instagram so I can see your creation 🙂
15 Minute Kimchi Cauliflower Fried Rice with a Perfect Egg on Top
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups kimchi
- *2 tbsp Gochujang Korean red pepper paste
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 4 eggs
- To make cauliflower rice, chop cauliflower into florets. Pulse florets in the bowl of a food processor until it resembles rice. This will take about 2 minutes, you may have to do it in batches. Set aside
- In a large skillet over medium heat saute garlic in olive oil for 1 minute, add kimchi and continue sauteeing for 3 minutes. Add cauliflower rice and soy sauce mixture. Saute for 7 minutes, until tender, but not mushy. Remove from heat, top with sesame oil, scallions, and sesame seeds.
- In a medium skillet fry eggs in 1 tsp olive oil. Top each serving of kimchi cauliflower rice with a fried egg.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂