Sweet, sticky, and slightly spicy, these instant pot barbeque turkey meatballs will blow your mind with deliciousness and require only 6 simple ingredients: ground turkey, bbq sauce, jalapeno, onion, breadcrumbs, and spices. Serve as an appetizer, healthy protein, or quick meal.
What you need for this recipe: ground turkey, jalapenos, red onion, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and bbq sauce.
These saucy, slightly spicy, totally healthy bbq turkey meatballs fit perfectly in the “quick and healthy protein” category. You know those nights when you have veggies ready but you need a quick and healthy protein? Or you just want an easy salad and quick protein? Or you are a meal planning genius and you love having quick and healthy proteins on hand to transform into awesome dinners all week long.
Here are some of the best features of these bbq babies:
- They use one bowl
- They only require a few simple ingredients
- They are ready in 10 instant pot minutes
- They are meal prep friendly
- They are freezer friendly
- They go with ANYTHING, ANYTIME!
Anything, anytime? Yes, for real. Some of my favorite ways to eat these bbq turkey meatballs:
- Serve with a big bowl of garlicky cauliflower rice and sauteed spinach.
- Serve on top of garlic and olive oil sauteed spaghetti squash.
- Serve on top of creamy polenta (also made in the Instant Pot!)
- Serve on top of creamy mashed potato for the ultimate comfort food!
- Serve nestled inside a whole grain roll for the best meatball slider ever! With a big salad on the side, naturally.
- Serve as an appetizer at your next tailgating party, no one needs to know they are a healthy treat.
- Use in your meal prep bowls with roasted broccoli and brown rice.
This is one of those recipes that was created from random odds and ends in my kitchen. Ground turkey that had to be cooked that night, one jalapeno, a red onion, and half a jar of bbq sauce. I wanted to try meatballs in the instant pot because of the convenience and easy cleanup. The stars were aligned that night, random odds and ends, quick and easy cooking method and the result was AMAZING!
Jordan begged me to make these again 2 days later, the first batch was gobbled up in no time.
It's easy enough to combine all of the ingredients and roll into golf size meatballs. Use the saute feature of your instant pot to brown the meatballs, this took 5-7 minutes. Then add your bbq sauce, press the magic instant pot button (manual for 10 minutes), and saucy spicy meatballs are ready to go!
Fan Favorite Instant Pot Recipes
Paleo, gluten-free, non-spicy? What are my options?
- If you don't like spicy jalapeno you can eliminate the jalapeno entirely, I remove the seeds and ribs of the jalapeno for less heat.
- Paleo – Use a low sugar bbq sauce (like this one) and replace the breadcrumbs with 1/4 cup of almond flour.
- Gluten-free – Use gluten-free breadcrumbs or replace breadcrumbs with 1/4 cup almond flour
If you don't have an Instant Pot you can bake in the oven and then saute with bbq sauce. I haven't tested this method so if you do please comment below and let me know how it goes!
Instant Pot Spicy BBQ Turkey Meatballs
Sweet, sticky, and slightly spicy, these instant pot barbeque turkey meatballs will blow your mind with deliciousness and require only 6 simple ingredients: ground turkey, bbq sauce, jalapeno, onion, breadcrumbs, and spices.
In a large bowl combine turkey, egg, jalapeno, onion, spices, and breadcrumbs. Using your hands combine well. Roll into 18 golf ball sized meatballs.
Add olive oil to your instant pot and turn on the saute setting. Add meatballs in a single layer (you may need to do this in batches) and cook until browned on both sides, 5-6 minutes.
Use the manual button and set for 10 minutes. When time is complete use the quick release method (carefully) and serve with your favorite side dish.
Optionally top with chopped cilantro and extra jalapenos.
- If you don't like spicy jalapeno you can eliminate it entirely, I remove the seeds and ribs of the jalapeno for less heat.
- Paleo - Use a low sugar bbq sauce (like this one) and replace the breadcrumbs with 1/4 cup of almond flour.
- Gluten-free - Use gluten-free breadcrumbs or replace breadcrumbs with 1/4 cup almond flour
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂