This lively Corn and Black Bean salad will be a mainstay on your summer table. A fantastic accompaniment to barbeque or seafood and pure magic when heaped into tacos or burritos. Only 7 simple wholesome ingredients, and less than 10 minutes to whip up!
Black bean and corn salad with cilantro and jalapeno bring crunch and flavor that is all at once spicy, fresh, and sweet.
This healthy black bean and corn salad will work with an array of dishes and versatility is the name of this healthy-food-prep-game. Salads such as this can be utilized in a myriad of ways:
- Salsa with tortilla chips
- A condiment in your Buddha bowls
- Try it with grilled shrimp
- Serve as a side dish with simple piece of grilled fish.
- Pile high in a chicken taco
- Serve as a side dish at your next bbq
This salad has protein from the black beans and veggie power—which you can amp up by the way. Zucchini would be an amazing addition or some of those heavenly summer tomatoes, perfect. As we embark on magic time, when the fruit and veggies of summer are at their zenith, salads can be your dinner-time best friend. Offering a vehicle for all those marvelous vegetables, and a quick and cooling alternative to slaving over the stove on these sweltering days. I hope that you find some perfect summer corn for your salad with a sweet pop, pop and that you indulge in all the pleasures that this season has to offer.
Let's Get Cooking!
INGREDIENTS and SUBSTITUTIONS:
Detailed measurements and ingredients can be found within the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Black Beans-You can use a bean medley or chickpeas, but black beans are best.
- Corn- Fresh or Frozen works but there is no substitute for fresh, seasonal, super-sweet corn.
- Red Bell Pepper- A crunchy sweet pepper is what you want here.
- Jalapeno Pepper- Other chili peppers like a serrano pepper will work as a substitute but always taste a piece of the pepper to see how hot it is. Then, decide how hot you want your salad.
- Sweet Red Onion-Any sweet onion or shallot will do.
- Cilantro– Any green herb that you like or a combination of herbs will work.
- Lime Juice- Lemon Juice will work in a pinch but lime is preferable in this salad.
TOOLS YOU WILL USE:
Friends, this couldn't be easier. You are simply chopping a few items and tossing it all together.
- Pour the beans into a strainer and rinse with cool water
- Clean and chop all veggies and herbs
- Juice the limes
- Combine all ingredients in the mixing bowl
- Salt to taste
- If you are using frozen corn: simply thaw under cool running water, drain well and toss with other ingredients
- If you are using fresh corn: Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil, salt it well! Shuck corn and using tongs drop into boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the water, allow to cool (cool enough to handle) and cut corn kernels off the cob and toss into the salad.
This is the BEST salad to make with leftover corn on the cob! Simply cut the corn kernels off of the cob and toss into the salad!
Corn and black bean salad enhancers:
Limitless possibilities for ingredients that would compliment this salad. Here are some ideas:
- Avocado is a no-brainer
- A salty fresh cheese like feta, cotija, or Ricotta Salata
- Spices like ground cumin or chipotle powder
- Nuts or seeds
- A splash of cold-pressed olive oil
- Peach or mango
- Grilled chicken or shrimp
How long does black bean salad last in the fridge?
Store black bean and corn salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for 3-4 days.
Are canned black beans cooked?
Canned black beans are fully cooked but should be rinsed with cool water in a strainer before eating.
Should you rinse black beans?
Canned black beans should be poured into a strainer and rinsed clean with cool water. Once the liquid from the beans is rinsed away, the beans are ready to eat.
NUTRITION NERD CORNER 🤓
Canned beans vs. dried beans
Canned beans are a fine alternative to soaking and cooking dry beans. They are a fantastic source of fiber and B vitamins.
However, you want to look for BPA free aluminum cans (Westbrae Natural, and Eden foods are confirmed BPA free). BPA – or Bisphenol A is an industrial chemical that is used to make certain plastics and resins. It often lines the inside of aluminum cans and can leach into the food inside the cans. BPA is a known endocrine disrupter and a chemical that I work to avoid or reduce exposure to.
If available to you, choose beans in glass jars or tetra packs rather than aluminum cans.
DIETARY MODIFICATIONS FOR THIS RECIPE:
This recipe is naturally gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan.
MORE RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
Delicious Asparagus Salad
Chickpea salad with Halloumi
Greek Crunch Salad
Spicy Korean Cucumber Salad
Simple Shrimp Salad
Pickle Potato Salad
Buffalo Chickpea Jar Salad
I can’t wait for you to try this Healthy Corn and Black Bean Salad Recipe! When you make it, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @abrapappa or use the hashtag #abraskitchen so I can feature your photo!
If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to rate and leave a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Corn and Black Bean Salad
- 1 can organic black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed (adding more salt or lime juice)
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂