These Grilled Cheesy Kale Stuffed Mushrooms have all the makings of a delicious burger; meaty portobello mushrooms, bread, and cheese, without any actual meat. Vegetarian grilling win!
This one is for all the vegetarians out there that have had to suffer through frozen dry veggie burgers at every summer cookout. The worst!
I was grilling at my sister's this past weekend and although we did have some meat on the grill I just wasn't in the mood. I wanted veggies, lot's of them.
So I put together some gorgeous scallions to grill and lots of zucchini. We also prepared a huge escarole salad (I'm obsessed with escarole lately) and a tomato salad. I knew I would have “entree envy” without anything else aside from the veggies, and thus stuffed mushrooms were born.
This is quite a simple recipe, you just need to saute crumbled bread with kale, onion, garlic and veggie stock. Add cheese, I love taleggio a stink creamy italian cheese, but feta cheese or mozzarella will work perfectly. Stuff your mushrooms with the mixture and place on a cedar plank (which you will need to soak before you place on the grill).
Grilled cheesy kale stuffed mushrooms may just be your new favorite summer food! Serve with all of your prepared veggie sides 🙂
Grilled Cheesy Kale Stuffed MushroomsPrint
- 4 portobello mushroom stems removed, chopped and reserved
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 cups of kale chopped
- 2 cups of bread cut into croutons (GF bread works perfectly)
- 1/2-3/4 cups of veggie stock
- 1/2 cup cheese I used a creamy Taleggio, but feta works as does mozzarella
- Spread bread croutons onto a large baking sheet and Toast in 350˚ oven for 10 minutes
- Prepare mushrooms, remove stems chop and reserve. Remove gills. Set mushrooms aside
- Meanwhile in a large skillet melt oil over medium heat, add onion and reserved chopped mushroom stems to pan and cook for 4 minutes until onion is translucent. Add garlic and kale, cook until kale is wilted (about 5 minutes)
- Add bread croutons and veggie stock to skillet, cook until bread absorbs veggie stock. This should resemble a stuffing. Add more stock if needed.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms, unstuffed, on a hot grill. Grill for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from grill.
- Place mushrooms on cedar plank, stuff each mushroom with kale stuffing, top with cheese of your choice. (I used taleggio, but mozzarella, goat, feta, or parmesan would be delicious)
- Place cedar plank on grill (be sure to soak cedar plank ahead of time), put cover on grill and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from grill and serve.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂