Lemon chia seed muffin, crumbled and topped with tart creamy Greek yogurt, perfectly ripe summer fruit, a little sprinkle of superfood love (chia seeds, goji berries, oh my!), and the tiniest drizzle of honey. Hi, I'm a lemon chia seed muffin yogurt parfait, summer breakfast love in a jar and you are totally going to dig me.
Get ready to fall hard. Hard in love with this recipe. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing more incredible in the whole wide world than a cake-y desert with a creamy component. Like, you know, a brownie sundae, or cake and ice cream, or a cookie ice cream sandwich. OMG. Yes! I am so in.
So what happens when you take a perfectly lemony homemade gluten-free muffin and pair it with yogurt and fresh fruit? Umm… the earth stops moving for a solid minute because life is so good you can't believe it's true. Yes, this tastes like a decadent dessert and yes, it is totally good for you.
Muffin yogurt parfaits are a breakfast staple in my house. Why? Because I almost always have a bag of homemade muffins in my freezer.
This is one of the greatest reasons to bake muffins, they freeze like champs and are the perfect companion to a yogurt parfait. Let's be honest, a measly old muffin is not the breakfast of champions. Agreed? A muffin is essentially cake. Even a healthy muffin is not much more than healthy cake. So why not pair a healthy muffin with fresh antioxidant-packed fruit and a probiotic protein kick like good ‘ol yogurt?
I typically take my muffin out of the freezer and leave it on the counter while I'm making my morning coffee, or tea, or hot maca, or whatever hot drink I'm having in the morning. Once I have sat and stared into space with my cup of sanity for a solid 30+ minutes, and I feel as if I am truly ready to face the world, I head back into the kitchen and bam! My muffin is thawed just enough to make a muffin yogurt parfait.
What you add to the parfait is totally up to you, this morning I had nectarines and kiwi – YUM! I always sprinkle a little bit of extra love on top, like goji berries and chia seeds, or hemp seeds, or bee pollen. Ya know, the usual.
Breakfast. Delicious town. Seriously. I. Can't. Even.
By the way, the muffins (recipe below) are top notch too. My favorite – favorite -favorite muffin is a lemon poppy seed, this is a little riff on that. Totally grain free and gluten free, made with chia seeds instead of poppy seeds for that added superfood boost.
So I have to know, have you ever made a muffin yogurt parfait? Am I the only weirdo that does this? Will you try it now? Let me know below!
Gluten Free Lemon Chia Seed Muffins (+parfait)
- 1 muffin
- 1 cup greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt for vegan)
- 1 nectarine
- 1 kiwi
- sprinkle of chia seeds
- sprinkle of goji berries
- small drizzle of honey (or maple syrup for vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Prepare muffin tins with paper liners and using a little bit of coconut oil lightly grease the inside of the paper liners
- In a medium bowl combine all dry ingredients (except chia seeds), whisk well to combine
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Add chia seeds and stir to incorporate
- Fill muffin tin with batter
- Bake for 25 minutes, allow to cool before serving
- Layer 1 crumbled muffin with greek yogurt and sliced fruit (any fruit you like will do) top with your choice of superfoods and a small drizzle of honey.
- For a vegan version replace eggs with flax or chia eggs and replace yogurt with an almond or coconut based yogurt.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂