A fresh turmeric smoothie bowl loaded with cauliflower, mango, lemon, orange, and a few other superfood ingredients to help you beat those seasonal allergies. So yummy!
I can’t get enough fresh turmeric! I have been putting it in literally everything I eat lately and I am not apologizing. It’s a love affair and there is no sign of it ending anytime soon.
Before you tell me you can’t find fresh turmeric, sit tight, you can totally make this recipe with good ol’ dried turmeric powder, but first I want to introduce you to a smoothie bowl that is not only super yummy (and OMG gorgeous!), it is also extremely seasonally special, super in fact. It is the kind of smoothie that can literally stop your seasonal allergy sneezes in their tracks.
Hello Smoothie bowl, buh-bye allergies.
Here is the quick lowdown, a smoothie bowl (in case you’ve never had one) is simply a super thick smoothie that you eat with a spoon. So thick in fact that it begs to be topped with all sort of treats, like shredded coconut, golden berries, and sliced mango.
What this smoothie starts with may surprise you. Ready?
I don’t even mind that you may think I have a cauliflower obsession, I very well may. I originally thought the idea of cauliflower in a smoothie was a bit strange, turns out it’s a revelation. Buy frozen cauliflower, no need to steam or cook it, simply add to your smoothie and blend. It’s super creamy and honestly doesn’t really impart much flavor at all. Just lot’s of good for you nutrients.
Buh Bye Allergy Ingredients:
- Bee Pollen – One of the greatest foods on the planet. Bee pollen is the food for young bees and is 40% protein! 40% that’s cray cray! It is nourishing and nutrient dense and most importantly bee pollen reduces histamine! Which is exactly what all of your over the counter allergy medications do, but they come with some unpleasant side effects (your poor gut will suffer!) Bee pollen side effects? Zero. My only bit of advice is to tread lightly with bee pollen, certainly don’t use it if you have a bee allergy and the first time you use it bee (pun intended) modest, only about 1/2 tsp at a time and then build up to a larger does.
- Camu Powder – Don’t be afraid of this strange word, it’s merely a superfood that is quite simple to find (thank you amazon!). Camu camu is a berry that is typically found ground into a powder, it has very little flavor, but the nutrition? OMG!
Camu has one of the highest concentrations of vitamin C of any food source. For comparison, camu contains up to 500,000 ppm of vitamin C while oranges provide around 4,000ppm. It is also a potent anti-inflammatory substance.
As for allergies, vitamin C is a natural antihistamine shown to reduce bronchial, nasal, and sinus allergy symptoms. Vitamin C taken in whole food form (like in camu powder) is more bioavailable.
But wait…there’s more!
Camu also contains a naturally occurring bioflavonoid called quercetin, which is another natural antihistamine that has been shown to effectively protect against allergic reactions.
- Turmeric – If you suffer from seasonal allergies your body mounts an immune and inflammatory response to the pollen in the air. The released histamine inside your body increases mucous production as a protector of sorts, which is why you have runny eyes, stuffy nose, and sneezy disposition. The active compound in turmeric, curcumin, helps to block mast cells from releasing histamine. Curcumin can also reduce inflammation in the sinuses and respiratory tract. Thanks, turmeric!!!
Then add in the additional vitamin C and antioxidants from lemon, orange, and ginger and basically you have the best tasting allergy medicine you’ve ever had.
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 orange
- ½ lemon
- 1 inch piece of fresh turmeric
- 1 tsp camu camu powder1 tbsp coconut butter (or coconut oil will do)
- pinch of black pepper
- ½ cup water (or more depending on consistency you'd like)
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (optional, or you can use any protein powder you like)Toppings:
- golden berries
- bee pollen
- Blend all ingredients until thick and smooth. Top with desired (optional) toppings
Thanks for reading Abra’s Kitchen! To see what goodness I’m whipping up be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. If you make this recipe tag #abraskitchen on Instagram so I can see your creation 🙂
**Nutritional Information does not include toppings**
Never Miss a Post
get new recipes right to your inbox!