A creamy, healthy, green enchilada sauce with only 5 simple ingredients and easily made in a blender. Perfect for healthy enchiladas verdes, or to use with your favorite Mexican dish.
I have a new love, enchiladas. I know, late to the game, but I am here now and that's what counts.
Green enchiladas, really have my heart, and green enchiladas are all about the sauce. This is a little twist on a traditional, earthy, spicy, herby, green enchilada sauce, I made it creamy because really creamy sauces have my heart.
Enchiladas are the perfect vehicle for a ton of healthy veggies but typically are also loaded with cheese or cream cheese. There is a time and place for cheesy enchiladas, but I became mildly obsessed with a totally plant-based, healthy veggie enchilada with a creamy, dairy-free, vegan sauce.
Enter my healthy creamy vegan enchilada sauce. Are you ready to see just how easy this is?
Ingredients you need for healthy blender green enchilada sauce:
Raw Cashews – The perfect base for all things vegan and creamy. Why cashews mixed with water essentially turn into heavy cream is one of life's greatest magic tricks.
Cilantro – I use both the leaves and stems in this sauce, and trust me you don't want to leave this out.
Jalapeno – Green enchilada sauce should have a kick, thank you jalapeno.
Green Chiles – I used canned green chiles, they provide that perfect earthy base for the sauce. If you happen to be in an area where you grow green hatch chiles you can roast your own, and then send me some. Thanks.
Apple Cider Vinegar – I like just a slight tang to my enchilada sauce, so the smallest bit of apple cider vinegar works perfectly.
How to Make Creamy Vegan Enchilada Sauce:
Blend your ingredients. Seriously, that is it.
How to Use Healthy Easy Green Enchilada Sauce?
Obviously, this sauce was designed to be used on Enchiladas Verdes (green enchiladas), but it would also be amazing drizzled on tacos, nachos, a simple sauce for roast chicken or shrimp. I would also pour this on roasted veggies with brown rice. Basically, you could use this sauce in a million different ways. Honestly, you could easily thin it out just a bit and make a killer taco salad (she says while running to the kitchen to make a killer taco salad!).
Vegan Brussels Sprout and Mushroom Enchilada
My favorite use of this sauce is generously poured over my vegan Brussels Sprout and Mushroom Enchilada! Top with creamy avocado, fresh jalapeno, and fresh cilantro.
How to Customize your Vegan Green Enchilada Sauce:
- Add more or less heat – I used one whole jalapeno seeds, ribs and all because I like my enchilada sauce spicy. You can remove the seeds and ribs of the jalapeno to reduce the heat
- Eliminate the cashews – If you don't want a creamy sauce you can remove the cashews and replace with some oil. I love the creamy component of this sauce so I would never do this 😉
- Add garlic – This may be my only recipe without garlic on this site, but I honestly preferred the sauce without it. If you want a garlic bite you can certainly add some.
Healthy Creamy Green Enchilada Sauce
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Allow the cashews to soak for 30 minutes up to several hours. Drain cashews and set aside.
- In a high-speed blender combine soaked and drained cashews with 1/2 cup water, chopped jalapeno, fresh cilantro (I use both leaves and stems), green chilis, salt, and apple cider vinegar. Blend until smooth.
- Store in refrigerator for up to one week.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂