Vegan Chocolate Covered Cherry Ice Cream Tart, only 8 simple real food ingredients. Creamy cherry chocolate goodness that is gluten free, vegan, and paleo!
I can't even with this recipe. I'm sitting here trying to be modest, I really am. I am searching for the words, but I ain't got'em. There is no room for humble here. This creamy chocolatey cherry dream is everything! It is absolutely everything and I'm about to go full brag on you ????
8 ingredients, no fancy equipment, chilled creamy goodness. Oh, and chocolate, don't forget the chocolate!
I was obsessed with the idea of making a super simple ice cream this summer, one that was dairy free and didn't taste like bananas. I love nice cream as much as the next person, but sometimes a girl wants an ice cream that isn't banana flavored. So the testing began and let me tell you it was all worth it. All for chocolate and cherries.
Cherries, sweet and tart and perfect, quite possibly my favorite fruit and without a doubt my favorite ice cream flavor. I throw dark frozen cherries into smoothies like a cherry loving boss, trying to replicate the “white house cherry ice cream” of my childhood. Dark cherries and chocolate? OMG OMG OMG! Stop the madness. Seriously, it doesn't get any better than this.
Coconut milk, cherries (lots of them) and a little bit of maple syrup, who would've thought it would work as an ice cream? It does. Trust me. Or don't take my word for it, try it yourself!
Here are the reasons this recipe is the bomb
- Only 8 ingredients, easy ingredients
- It's vegan, gluten free, and paleo (OMG! What??)
- It's the perfect special dessert for when friends come over on a Sunday, and then perfect for breakfast on Monday morning, and also perfect for that late afternoon snack on Tuesday. Because ice cream and cherries and chocolate and vegan and paleo and gluten free. All. Real. Food.
- Yes, it's breakfast and dessert and snack and everything in between, because if you don't eat every last nibble of this magic you will cry big crocodile tears.
It's simple enough to make and totally worth the try. You don't need an ice cream maker, but you do need a little bit of patience (and a springform pan) to allow the ice cream tart to set. Set a timer, and then run to the freezer and grab the magic as soon as it's ready. Trust me, anything you can do to shorten the distance between you and this chocolate covered cherry ice cream tart is worth it! Running to the freezer to save 30 seconds of waiting = worth it. Grabbing a spoon and digging right in as soon as it's settled enough to eat… wait I didn't do that. You did!
Chocolate Covered Cherry Vegan Ice Cream Tart
- 1 can coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk will work
- 3 cups frozen cherries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- extra cherries and chocolate shavings
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, blend until smooth and creamy. Taste for sweetness, if your cherries aren't sweet enough add a bit more maple syrup. Pour mixture into a container (I used a bread pan) and place in freezer. Scrape the ice cream every few hours and stir well. It will take about 6-8 hours to freeze appropriately (or overnight)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, pulse until well combined. Press crust into the base of a springform pan.
- When ice cream is the consistency of soft serve spread on top of crust and put tart into freezer to set (this will be another few hours)
- Melt chocolate over a double boiler (or carefully in microwave). Stir coconut oil into chocolate until smooth and glossy.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce over tart and top with chocolate shavings and extra fresh cherries.
- Tart will need to sit out of the freezer for about 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- For a smoother consistency use an ice cream maker. I don't own one so I used the method listed. This will produce some ice crystals, but it is still super yummy!
- Cherries are jam packed with antioxidants which makes this a healthy dessert!
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂