Here we are in the middle of August when the ubiquitous vegetable of the season, zucchini, officially feels overplayed. If you grow zucchini in your garden you are overflow-eth with bounty, if your neighbor grows zucchini, you most likely are the recipient of said “overflow-eth.”
How many things can you really do with zucchini? Sauteed, grilled, raw, sliced, diced, grated, zucchini pasta, zucchini ice cream, zucchini anything. You name it, I’ve tried it. Growing up I loved zucchini bread with slices of garden tomato on top, or sweet zucchini chocolate bread. (which I recreated into zucchini chocolate muffins, recipe is here.)
The other night, with multiple zucchini in hand, I decided that a zucchini fry was necessary. It was. What followed was a treat. A gluten free, healthy, and yummy treat. They didn’t turn out quite as crunchy as I had hoped, but the flavors were stupendous and the minty, spicy, avocado dip was the perfect pairing.
Zucchini Fries with Minty Avocado DipPrint
- 1 zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded
- 1/4 cup of fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 dashs of tabasco, optional
- 1-2 tbsp water to thin
- Cut zucchini into matchsticks about 1/4 inch thick, dry well on paper towel
- Scramble eggs in a bowl
- Mix 1/2 the almond flour and 1/2 the spices in separate bowl
- Dredge zucchini in egg mixture then almond flour mixture until well coated on all sides. Continue with all zucchini (you will have to add second half of almond flour after first half is gone. Do not start with all of it in a bowl because it will begin to clump and you will have to restart with fresh almond flour) Depending on the size of your zucchini you may have to continue to add more almond flour to coat all matchsticks.
- Place on cookie sheet that has been rubbed with olive oil and bake in 450 oven for 15 minutes, flip over and bake for additional 10-15 minutes until brown and crispy.
- Scoop flesh of avocado into blender or food processor. Add all additional ingredients and blend until smooth. Add water until you reach desired consistency. (should be smooth, thin, and dip-able)
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂