It was an ordinary day, like so many others. I was strolling through the aisles of Trader Joe's thinking about dinner. It was cold and rainy, I had a tough week and I was looking for comfort.
My food vice, most often, is anything rich and creamy. My last meal request would be a big platter of mashed potatoes with some cheese on the side and maybe a few of my mom's dumplings in a paprika sour cream sauce. Yeah, that's how I roll (see I wouldn't ask for Kale, I do have kale boundaries)
When the mashed comfort food craving hits I have a tool kit of recipes that I can whip out to satisfy without sabotaging and sometimes I will even have actual mashed potatoes. Gasp. This night, however, I needed something else, something new and exciting.
What to make. What to make.
Then a stroke of genius as I passed the beans. Oh yeah, I love a white bean mash. I usually make it super garlicky and healthy, but today I was going to add just a bit of indulgence.
Cheddar cheese and fresh rosemary. Done. Perfection.
I paired it with a hearty and healthy sausage kale stew.
I fell in love and you will too.
A white bean mash couldn't be easier. Begin with organic canned white beans (also called cannelini beans) simmer with chicken stock or veggie stock for 10 minutes, add any spices or aromatics that please you, whirl them up in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
Presto, white bean mash.
The kale sausage stew is pretty bangin' too – I mean overall this is a delicious meal.
Kale Sausage Stew with Cheddar Rosemary Mashed White Beans
- 1 pound of organic chicken sausage
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 large onion chooped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 28 ounces of organic diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 cups of organic chicken stock
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flake
- 5 cups of kale chopped
- salt and pepper
White Bean Mash
- 2 15 oz. cans of white beans or cannelini beans
- 1 cup of organic chicken stock
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 tablespoons of organic sour cream
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot sauté onion and carrot in olive oil over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic continue cooking for 4 minutes.
- Remove sausage from casing and add to the pot, breaking up with a wooden spoon, allow sausage to brown. (this should take about 5 minutes)
- Add tomato paste and a juice from canned tomatoes to the pot, stir for 2 minutes scraping up any browned bits
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, sprig of rosemary, crushed red pepper, pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper and kale to pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime drain beans and place in a small pot with garlic, full sprig of rosemary, and chicken stock. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove rosemary, and add to the bowl of a food processor with sour cream, cheese, and chopped rosemary.
- Process until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂
Thanks for sharing this.