You get home from work, it’s nearly 6:30, the family hasn’t eaten yet and you are just too burned out to be creative with dinner.
Ok, no worries.
This is what many nights a week look like for me (although I don’t have a family to feed, I still get that evening text message “what’s for dinner” from my BF) and it’s in these moments that I am so grateful for my plan-overs.
Plan-Overs = Left overs with a plan
Soups, stews, veggie loafs, wild salmon burgers, veggie burgers, and meat loafs. Most of the time I can rely on at least a few of these plan overs in my freezer. Although the soups and stews often stand on their own for a complete dinner with a big salad, my other freezer staples require a side dish.
Enter sweet potato fries.
Simply cut sweet potatoes into fry shape. Be mindful to chop in equal sizes so all the fries cook at the same time. Allow for about 1 medium sweet potato per person.
Toss with seasoning – I happen to love paprika and cayenne, but really you could do any number of dry spices. Whatever flavors you like
Bake in oven
Voila side dish done.
I usually whip up a little creamy dip (recipe below) and on this evening as soon as the fries came out of the oven I threw some broccoli on the same baking sheet and popped it in the oven while I put the rest of the meal together.
So 30 minutes after walking in the door I had a delicious grass fed bbq meatloaf, sweet potato fries with creamy dip, and roasted broccoli.
Inspired? Not really.
Delicious? Wish you could see the empty plates.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Creamy Herb DipPrint
- 4 medium sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt and pepper
- a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise, or high quality mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon herbs de provence, or any dry spices you like, this is a blend of gorgeous provencal herbs like lavender, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil and fennel
- Preheat oven to 450
- Slice sweet potatoes into fry shapes NOTE: I usually like to keep the skin on, but feel free to peel if you’d like
- In a large bowl toss sweet potatoes with olive oil (first) and dry spices
- In a single layer (this part is VERY IMPORTANT) place sweet potato fries on a large baking sheet
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes, take out of oven, flip fries and rotate baking sheet
- Bake for additional 15 minutes
Stir and dip
I love this combo, but feel free to use any dry spices that you like
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂