I read an article about Green Thursday in Saveur Magazine this month, Grundonnerstag, or Green Thursday, is celebrated in Germany on the Thursday before Easter. On this day Parishioners are typically given a branch to signify Lenten duties. Over time green has also signified spring and green holiday dishes grace the table.
Of course I thought this was a grand idea. I celebrate any reason to embrace a day of green food!
In honor of Green Thursday I whipped up this beautiful spring edition of mashed cauliflower, chive and yogurt mashed cauliflower.
Upon tasting Jordan, my BF, stated, “Damn, this is restaurant good.”
Let me tell you, this is a HUGE compliment.
Jordan has worked in hospitality for 20 years, and has dined at the worlds best restaurants. He is a pain in the butt-insky. He is a snob. He knows good food and if it's not good, he would rather have Chinese food than mediocre home cooked food.
Do you see what I'm dealing with people?
When Jordan says it's restaurant quality, he isn't talking about the diner around the corner. As a matter of fact about 6 months into our relationship I said to him, “Do you ever eat at just a simple diner?” He said, “Why would I ever do that?”
So in celebration of Green Thursday let's all make this Jordan approved yogurt and chive mashed cauliflower (p.s. if you are vegan, go ahead and skip the yogurt)
Yogurt and Chive Mashed CauliflowerPrint
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of grass fed butter
- 4 tablespoons of chives divided
- salt and pepper
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Add to a pot and cover half way with water. Cover and boil for 4-5 minutes until cauliflower is tender. (this is a sort of steam/boil hybrid method)
- Drain cauliflower (there may not be very much liquid left) and add to blender with yogurt, butter, 3 tbsp chive, pinch of salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. If you feel like you need more liquid add a splash of veggie stock.
- Serve with reserved chopped chives on top.
Can I Help You Meal Plan?
Enter your email below to download my free - one week - real food (mostly plants) meal plan. Grocery list, recipes, prep schedule, it's all there for you 🙂