Can we talk about sweet potatoes for a minute?
I have a very strong affinity for them, I think they are perfect, and sweet, and wonderful, and quite frankly my life is better because sweet potatoes are in it.
They are on my staple grocery list. If I have sweet potatoes in my house I always feel like I have something good to eat. If I don’t, I feel something pretty close to terror.
I eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack. I eat them here. I eat them there. I will eat sweet potatoes anywhere.
Oh wonderful friends, do you love them as much as me?? Do you? Do you?
If you don’t feel the love pulsating through your veins like I do, maybe you should give this recipe a try. It’s the perfect combo of sweet, tangy, and savory and a great way to start playing with sweet potatoes, in unconventional ways, in your kitchen.
Let me tell you the real whopper of a reason I think you should give this recipe a try.
And lately I need fast recipes more than I ever have before.
My life has become a snip busier these days, because I made a pretty epic life decision to go back to school. In exactly 2 weeks I begin a masters program in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine!!! It’s super exciting and also terrifying. I am currently finishing a few pre-req classes and have become much better acquainted with something called time management.
I haven’t had my leisurely blocks of 4 hours to play in the kitchen, I’ve had to get down to action quickly, and prepare meals that give my hard working brain a little boost.
So this is exactly where stuffed sweet potatoes come in, the perfect quick lunch.
Full disclosure, it does takes 45 minutes to cook a sweet potato in the oven, but I totally won’t tell anyone if you choose to cook it in a microwave instead.
The rest of the dish takes a whopping 10 minutes.
So I guess it’s safe to say you will be seeing more speedy recipes from me in the future, let’s hope they are all as successful as this one!
Do you have a favorite quick recipe for when life is super busy? Share below in the comments!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup of yellow squash, diced
- 2 cups of kale, leaves stripped from stems and chopped
- 1 cup of organic black beans
- ½ teaspoon of cumin, ground
- ¼ teaspoon of (each) sea salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- Bake sweet potatoes in 375 oven for 45 minutes or until tender
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat olive oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and saute for 1 minutes (be careful not to burn)
- Add yellow squash to pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add kale, stir well, reduce heat to medium low, and cover skillet for 4 minutes to allow kale to wilt.
- Once kale has sufficiently wilted add black beans, cumin, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Stir well to combine and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Remove sweet potato from oven, when cool enough to touch split open and drizzle with olive oil, a pinch of cumin, salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lime juice. Pile kale mixture on top of a sweet potato.
- Bring this kale and black bean stuffed sweet potato to work for lunch, parade it around your office, make all of your coworkers jealous.
Never Miss a Post
get new recipes right to your inbox!