If I could, I would begin every meal with garlic. I really would. Garlic is an obvious flavor powerhouse, but raw garlic can be too pungent and aggressive, overpowering more subtle flavors that also deserve a chance to shine. Enter roasted garlic, or garlic candy as I like to call it.
Roasted garlic is much milder, sweeter in fact. Adding a bit of roasted garlic to nearly any dish is a way to subtly rev up the flavor (here is the best part) without revving up fat and calories. I love keeping a head of roasted garlic in my fridge to use as I want.
From a nutrition perspective, garlic contains powerful cancer-fighting properties, is an immunity booster, and an anti-inflammatory compound.
How to Use Roasted Garlic
- Whisk roasted garlic cloves with a bit of olive oil, add a pinch of salt and pepper and pour on top of steamed veggies.
- Make garlic mashed cauliflower (steam cauliflower until soft, mash with an entire head of roasted garlic a small drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper)
- 1 head of roasted garlic, 1 can chickpeas, a bit of tahini, olive oil, process in food processor VOILA! Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Mash a few cloves of roasted garlic w/ lemon juice, salt and pepper, a small drizzle of olive oil = delicious salad dressing!
- Add 1 head roasted garlic to 1/4 cup veggie stock, whisk until well combined toss with whole grain pasta, or any grain, plus veggies. Top w/ 1 tbsp parmesean cheese.
- Spread on whole grain toast w/ a slice of avocado and tomato. Lunch.
- Squeeze 1 head roasted garlic into virtually any soup or stew or chili to make it the best tasting soup or stew or chili you have ever had. Truth.
How to Roast Garlic
STEP #1: Preheat oven to 425
STEP #2: Always begin with at least 2 whole heads of garlic. It is an utter waste of time to only roast 1.
STEP #3: Chop off their heads!
STEP #4: Place on sheets of tinfoil
STEP #5: Drizzle each head with 1/2 tsp Olive Oil a pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper
STEP #6: Seal the packets tightly and bake in oven for 40 minutes, or until garlic is super soft and will ooze out if you squeeze it
STEP #7: Remove from oven and marvel at the glorious garlic candy you just created. It is mellow, creamy, and spreadable!
Never Miss a Post
get new recipes right to your inbox!