It’s March Madness in the Nutritious America world.
Every March Karen and I step a bit further outside our comfort zone and do something wacky and wild. Last year it was a week in Dubai, consulting with a food corporation about how they can incorporate healthier items into their business, it was a great success and we had a fabulous time!
This year… ROAD TRIP!
We are hitting the road! But this is not just any trip. We are driving cross country. Los Angeles to Boston. A healthy Across America Road Trip … oh, and on a budget.
Here is what we are doing:
- Driving from Los Angeles to Boston on a $500.00 food budget. That’s 3000 miles and 500 dollars!
- Only healthy food allowed
- No Fast Food or Processed Packaged food! (this means NO typically “road trip” food)
Why this challenge? Well, the most famous excuse we hear from our beloved clients is that it is too expensive and not convenient to eat healthy. We are going to prove them wrong!!! (well, we certainly hope so) We are definitely going to try our little tails off!
Wait, you mean there’s no Whole Foods in the fields of Iowa? What will we find at the creepy 7-11 at midnight in Kearny, Nebraska to hold us over when we can’t find our hotel? What kind of breakfast will be available in our teepee in Moab, Utah? (no seriously, we are staying in a teepee in Moab, Utah)
Don’t get too nervous, we have given ourselves 3 lifelines along the way:
- Kindness from a friend (there are some clients and friends along the way… if they choose to have us over for lunch we will allow it)
- Kindness from a stranger (Why, yes, friendly farmer… we would love to sample some of your beets)
- One Food Pass (just in case we come across an uber amazing restaurant that seems slightly over budget we can use this pass)
For some added adventure: Enter the Nutritious America mascot, our 6 month-old puppy, Willie Pickles Jackson who will need some food of his own.. and oh yes… daily exercise!
Karen and I drove cross country 15 years ago, from Pennsylvania to Los Angeles. We still talk about that trip as one of the greatest memories of our friendship. We are hoping that this trip will make it in the memory books too.
Will we make it work? Stay tuned and find out. Oh… and there will be a video camera present for the entire trip. (and we will be blogging along the way… provided there is internet service inside a teepee)
One more thing… I have officially decided that I will be traveling with a portable burner and 1 pot, just in case I come across a field of Kale in Iowa and need a fix.
We depart from LA on Monday the 5th… stay tuned for updates along the way.
Have some thoughts about this trip? Comment away, we would love to hear from you. First stop… Zion Park, UTAH!
Never Miss a Post
get new recipes right to your inbox!